Author Topic: anyone else have/had this?  (Read 4197 times)

tenai98

anyone else have/had this?
« on: May 18, 2012, 06:19:44 am »
Surgery was 3 yrs ago.  Latest MRI show growth.  Lately I have been having tummy issues.  Not nauseated, but upset tummy.  Plus facial numbness and low grade pain, like a toothache...Seeing ENT on June 6th and will be discussing cyberknife treatment..In 2010, tumor was at 13X7mm  now its 16X10mm....Time to do something
This has me somewhat upset, but what can one do except accept it and keep moving forward...
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: anyone else have/had this?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:01:57 am »
We knew that it was highly likely that my tumor would start growing again after surgery. It was still an abrupt change the day we got the news that it had grown because I had been focusing on healing and living - not dwelling on it at all. There was a certain amount of sadness and the like as well, but all one can really do is accept it, make a plan, and move on. Fortunately, FSR wasn't too bad for me.

As for upset tummy and other issues, there is no telling what is causing those, though I suspect if the tumor is involved with the vagus nerve it could well be to blame, but I am not a doctor.

Good luck with CK or whatever you end up choosing. We are indeed fortunate to have these options available to us.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:33:05 am »
The tummy issues might not even be related.    Do you have any acid reflux?         Might try taking some Zantac at bedtime and see if it helps.    It is OTC and go for the 150 mg.     There are generic brands.                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

KBL

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:44:15 am »
Hi, before my surgery I had really bad acid reflux, and what I thought was a major dental problem going on causing facial numbness.  It all cleared up with my surgery.  Before I found out I had an AN, I had my stomach scoped and had gone to the dentist.  I had a few things that cleared up with surgery.  Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:47:47 am »
NO acid reflux here. could just be nerves.  I have an oncologist lined up already to deal with this...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 01:03:38 pm »
JO .....

I can easily identify with your anxiety about this regrowth.  And, I agree with Tod that a deep sadness overcame me when I discovered my tumor was regrowing.

I was not a good candidate for radiation follow-up treatment due to massive radiation to my head as a teenager.  Thus, I opted for a second surgical removal.  That was one year ago last Friday and so far no recurrence this time!

Since I already had (have) acid reflux, I take a Nexium every day.  I still have periods of stomach burn and occasionally a short episode of nausea.  In my case, I do not think either is related to having an AN.  Be sure to tell your doctor(s) about all of your symptoms, even if you think they might be caused by anxiety.

Best thoughts and many prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 02:10:24 pm »
Hi, JO ~

I'm sorry to learn that you have to deal with a re-growth but your 'let's get on with it' attitude will get you through this. 

I never went to medical school but I suspect your stomach issues may be stress related.  If your stomach problems abate/disappear following your CK treatment, that will be your answer.  If they don't, it may be prudent to consider consulting a gastroenterologist to help you find the source of the symptoms.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 12:50:13 am »
Jo: do you have balance issues? I know if I am particularly dizzy my stomache with get upset. Sometimes having too much stress can be the cause of the increased dizziness, or a sinus issue, or overtired. Just a suggestion.
It could just be plain stress reaction to have an upset tummy too
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 05:12:40 am »
Kathleen,

Somedays I have slight balance issues.  Tummy not upset this morning.  Nerves are calming down.  Have to keep a state of mind that all will be fine.  Afterall, just received news that g/child #7 is on the way. Need to focus on that.  ;D :D
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 01:00:16 pm »
I had, um, frequent diahrrea for years before my AN surgery. IBS runs in my family, so I never thought much of it, but it's much better since my surgery 3.5 years ago.