Author Topic: Tumor NECROSIS?!???  (Read 2530 times)

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
Tumor NECROSIS?!???
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:51:41 am »
Long story short
The bigger tumor now look heterogeneous on the new MRI
(instead of a smooth, consistent, homogeneous white) there are now various shades of grey mixed in it

The neuro radiologist who read it was saying different types of myelin
My neuro-otologist thought it may represent central tumor necrosis, (from when a tumor outgrows its blood supply, and the center part starved, dies, and necrosed)
The gamma-knife surgeon today suspected it was related to the timing of the MRI contrast

Three very different theories

Oh joy

So I have deleted the long post I thumb-typed earlier today
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:42:34 pm by neuroma_racer »
mild hearing loss - 12/'09
left 4x5x7mm, intracannicular schwanomma
MIDDLE FOSSA surgery 4/'10, Dr John McElveen, et.al.
was actually a FACIAL NERVE NEUROMA
hearing worsened 4/'12 - Tumor quadrupled to 9x9x15mm
cyberknife 8/'12
1.5yr MRI shows shrinkage % 85% necrosis
LEFT hearing & tinnitus SUCK

Chances3

Re: Tumor NECROSIS?!???
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:59:54 am »
Although I'm in the surgical group of AN patients, I would like to see the radiation crowd weigh in on this because I thought radiation eventually kills the tumor, not stop it's growth.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:35:15 pm »
Although I'm in the surgical group of AN patients, I would like to see the radiation crowd weigh in on this because I thought radiation eventually kills the tumor, not stop it's growth.

As one of the 'radiation crowd' - I underwent 26 FSR treatments on a surgically debulked AN - my understanding is that radiation treatments primary objective is to halt tumor growth and to, as my radiation oncologist put it: "destroy the tumor's DNA', preventing it from re-growing.  He told me that the tumor will shrink but will probably never entirely disappear but that it will be like a dead leaf that hangs on a tree into winter - and just as harmless. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:24:32 am »
My neurosurgeon told me prior to CK that the tumor might very well never appear any different on an MRI after treatment, it just wouldn't grow.  However, post-CK my tumor has turned dark in the middle and collapsed somewhat.  My neurosurgeon says it is dead and will never give me any further difficulties (other than the ones I'm already stuck with, I guess . . . ). 
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:27:11 pm »
Hi, neuroma_racer;

Sounds like central tumor necrosis stemming from radiation disrupting DNA and the tumor's ability to amass schwann cells.
  Sometimes, when a tumor outgrows it's blood supply, a cyst develops.