Author Topic: Made a Decision  (Read 9502 times)

LizAN

Made a Decision
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:20:15 pm »
It's official.

My surgery is scheduled for July 3 at St. Vincent Medical Center in LA, with Doctors Slattery and Schwartz.  I will be having translab.  My partner and I are making our plans to head out there on the 30th of June and will be staying at Seton.  It's still a bit surreal.

Thanks to everyone who has patiently answered my questions throughout this difficult decision making process.

The countdown begins!

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
Re: Made a Decision
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:17:08 pm »
I had butterflies in my stomach when I got the actual date of my surgery -- 6-22-12-- retrosig at UVA.  It helps me to just enjoy each day for what it has to offer and think past the surgery to the recovery.  I try not to dwell my thoughts on the actual date and counting down the days, because that makes me feel anxious.

Hope all goes well for you.  Our surgeries are not far apart.  I'll keep an eye out for your posts and be praying for you to be at peace with your decision.

Jan

48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 08:18:56 pm »
Liz .....

So glad you have made your decision.  So many of us can identify that after the initial shock of the diagnosis, making a treatment decision is the next most stressful part of the whole process.  Now, spend your time preparing to be gone from home for awhile and then do fun things to keep yourself busy between now and July 3rd.

Thoughts and prayers for calm as you prepare for surgery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

LizAN

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:46:03 pm »
I had butterflies in my stomach when I got the actual date of my surgery -- 6-22-12-- retrosig at UVA.  It helps me to just enjoy each day for what it has to offer and think past the surgery to the recovery.  I try not to dwell my thoughts on the actual date and counting down the days, because that makes me feel anxious.

Hope all goes well for you.  Our surgeries are not far apart.  I'll keep an eye out for your posts and be praying for you to be at peace with your decision.

Jan

Good point about the countdown.  Maybe it would be too stressful to do that.  I do have a lot of things to do before the time comes, so I will just focus on those things instead.

Our surgeries aren't even two weeks apart.  I will be watching out and praying for you as you go through it right before me.

For the moment, I am at peace.  I hope I can manage not to second guess my decision, now that I've started implementing it.

I like your idea of looking forward to the recovery.  I have to wonder how much of the fatigue I've felt over the last few years has been related to the AN.  Maybe I will finally get past it, once this long haul is over.

Best wishes, and keep us posted.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:49:51 pm »
Liz .....

So glad you have made your decision.  So many of us can identify that after the initial shock of the diagnosis, making a treatment decision is the next most stressful part of the whole process.  Now, spend your time preparing to be gone from home for awhile and then do fun things to keep yourself busy between now and July 3rd.

Thoughts and prayers for calm as you prepare for surgery.

Clarice

Thanks, Clarice.  Making this decision has felt a lot like the initial shock.  After being in watch and wait for a year and a half, I had become complacent and had forgotten what it felt like.  Somehow, I had convinced myself that I was never going to need treatment.  Life doesn't always give us what we expect.  I guess that knowledge is something all of us on this list have in common.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.  I appreciate your calming presence on this list.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 04:47:11 am »
Liz
Glad to hear you made your decision. I know the time from getting your surgery date to the day of the nerves can be overwhelming. I had surgery March 7th so I'm almost 3 months out now and doing well. You will do well also. If you ever need someone to talk to or have questions feel free to PM me. We are all here to help you and lend a shoulder  ;)
Oh & you had picked a great team. Be sure to tell Dr. Schwartz Mindy says Hi. He will smile. I'm not sure if he will ever forget me  ;D

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:59:19 am »
Congrats Liz!! With myself being an House Alumni, I know you will be in great hands!  Are you staying at Seton Hall? I highly recommend it, as it is the only place in town where you can wander around the halls in the middle of the night post-op, in your robe, because you can't sleep from all the steroids! :)  For myself, it was almost a relief of finally choosing where to go and getting that date, cuz now you are no longer in the driver's seat...everything's taken care of  so just sit back and relax! :)  Also a suggestion...get on some kind of exercise program if you haven't already. Nothing strenuous, just so's the activity will quell the nerves AND help you get in shape for the surgery, which will help your recovery!  Like Mindy says, you can ask any questions at all as you approach that magical date.  Take care and good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

lrobie

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 08:41:53 am »
Liz,

So glad you've made your decision.  I felt the same as you while in watch and wait.  I didn't think I'd ever need treatment and would forget about it.  It's on my mind all the time now.  I have felt better about it since I scheduled my surgery date.  It's a weight off my shoulders.  Good luck to you.  I'll be awaiting your posts.  We will be in L.A. on July 11th with surgery scheduled for July 18th.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 08:50:10 am »
Congrats, Liz, on making the big decision! You are well on your way. Everyone's pretty much already said everything but I just wanted to wish you well and remind you to relax and enjoy the time until then. It will be here and over before you know it and you will do wonderfully. And thanks again for all of your encouragement during my own surgery. It was greatly appreciated!
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 12:31:38 pm »
Liz ~

Congratulations on your decision as we all realize it's a big step that, to some degree, has to be done on faith, as it were.

You've already given yourself a very good chance for an excellent surgical outcome with your choice of HEI and it's staff.  With approximately six weeks to your surgery date you have enough time to make your post-op plans and try to get as fit as possible before the Big Day.  I'm confident that you'll have a good experience at HEI and a successful surgical outcome, as many other HEI AN patients have.  Meanwhile, we're here to offer whatever advice we may have and of course, our wholehearted support.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LizAN

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 01:29:53 pm »
Liz
Glad to hear you made your decision. I know the time from getting your surgery date to the day of the nerves can be overwhelming. I had surgery March 7th so I'm almost 3 months out now and doing well. You will do well also. If you ever need someone to talk to or have questions feel free to PM me. We are all here to help you and lend a shoulder  ;)
Oh & you had picked a great team. Be sure to tell Dr. Schwartz Mindy says Hi. He will smile. I'm not sure if he will ever forget me  ;D

Mindy

Thank you, Mindy.  What did you do that made you unforgettable to Dr. Schwartz? :o
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 01:40:02 pm »
Congrats Liz!! With myself being an House Alumni, I know you will be in great hands!  Are you staying at Seton Hall? I highly recommend it, as it is the only place in town where you can wander around the halls in the middle of the night post-op, in your robe, because you can't sleep from all the steroids! :)  For myself, it was almost a relief of finally choosing where to go and getting that date, cuz now you are no longer in the driver's seat...everything's taken care of  so just sit back and relax! :)  Also a suggestion...get on some kind of exercise program if you haven't already. Nothing strenuous, just so's the activity will quell the nerves AND help you get in shape for the surgery, which will help your recovery!  Like Mindy says, you can ask any questions at all as you approach that magical date.  Take care and good luck!
Jay

Thanks, Jay.  I'm doing my best to let go of things over which I have no control.  We still need to make airline and rental car reservations and make arrangements for the horses, cats, and dogs.  That may be no small feat, given that my surgery is the week of July 4th.

Yes, we are staying at Seton Hall.  It seemed like the best idea, although I'd rather we could cook, so I can eat the anti-inflammatory diet that I'm currently on.  Being around other AN patients, and near the hospital and clinic, trumped that concern, and the steroids should actually help.

I have been trying to walk at least a mile a day and get in the pool for thirty minutes two or three times a week.  It's not rigorous, but it is much better than the sedentary life I was leading.  It feels pretty weird to walk now that my balance is rapidly deteriorating.  I hope it makes a difference in my outcome.

Given that heart disease runs on both sides of my family, I'm a little concerned about having a cerebro-vascular event, which is one of the major things that kills the few people who die from this procedure.  My grandmother died of a heart attack when she was only six years older than I am.  Maybe I should find a cardiologist and get fully checked out before I go.  I'd like to have the carotid artery ultrasound I've been hearing about, which detects the earliest indication of a problem.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 01:41:35 pm »
Liz,

So glad you've made your decision.  I felt the same as you while in watch and wait.  I didn't think I'd ever need treatment and would forget about it.  It's on my mind all the time now.  I have felt better about it since I scheduled my surgery date.  It's a weight off my shoulders.  Good luck to you.  I'll be awaiting your posts.  We will be in L.A. on July 11th with surgery scheduled for July 18th.

Lisa

Lisa, we will overlap as I'm probably coming home around the 13th.  Come find me at Seton Hall when you get to town!

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 01:44:09 pm »
Congrats, Liz, on making the big decision! You are well on your way. Everyone's pretty much already said everything but I just wanted to wish you well and remind you to relax and enjoy the time until then. It will be here and over before you know it and you will do wonderfully. And thanks again for all of your encouragement during my own surgery. It was greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Manders.  I was very concerned about what was going on during your hospital stay.  I'm so glad you are out and doing well with your recovery.  I will continue to follow your progress until I can no longer read the computer screen, and then I will check in again after I'm better.

Take care.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 02:05:46 pm »
Liz ~

Congratulations on your decision as we all realize it's a big step that, to some degree, has to be done on faith, as it were.

You've already given yourself a very good chance for an excellent surgical outcome with your choice of HEI and it's staff.  With approximately six weeks to your surgery date you have enough time to make your post-op plans and try to get as fit as possible before the Big Day.  I'm confident that you'll have a good experience at HEI and a successful surgical outcome, as many other HEI AN patients have.  Meanwhile, we're here to offer whatever advice we may have and of course, our wholehearted support.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

You are right about the faith.  There are no guarantees, even with the best team.  There is no universal formula for making this decision.  I don't want to look back with regret, but the number of options is overwhelming.  There is no perfect plan.  Now, I put my faith in the universe, asking that no matter what happens, I will have the strength and courage to deal with it.  I'm doing what feels right to me, and hoping for the best.

It's great to have the support and encouragement of this group!

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm