Author Topic: Sharp pains post-translab  (Read 4442 times)

kixit

Sharp pains post-translab
« on: June 10, 2012, 05:05:05 pm »
I woke up today having sharp pains deep inside my head where my incision is (had translab May 24th). It's not constant, just every 5 or so minutes and very sharp with no headache. I'm thinking it's everything coming back together so to speak--swelling from within going down, nerves mending. I'm wondering if any you experienced this 2 weeks or more post-surgery.

Thanks!
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

LizAN

Re: Sharp pains post-translab
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 06:48:29 pm »
Ouch, kixit!  So sorry to read you are experiencing this!  I hope it goes away soon.

I am still pre-surgery, but have started having some occasional pain in my head.  I'm guessing it's coming from the pressure of the tumor on the IAC, but I don't really know.  My tumor should not be pressing on the brain stem by now.

Again, hope this is short-lived for you!

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

kixit

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:07:43 pm »
Thanks Liz! I had sharp pains what seemed to be inner ear before surgery but these are on the incision line deep inside like where surgery would have been. It happens a few times an hour at 5 to 10 second intervals. I say it's things reviving, lol but want some opinions from people on here. And if it worsens I will call call Dr Kesser.
Translab 5/24/12

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:01:03 am »
Hi Kixit.

Sorry to hear about your sharp pains.  I would definitely call Dr. Kesser or his nurse to let them know what you're experiencing.  It may just be healing pains, but I would want to be sure that's all it is.  I guess they'll want to know if you have had fever, leaking of fluid, or severe HA to rule out any post op complications. 

I get sharp, stabbing pains in my face and my ear that make me cringe into that side.  It is a pain that stops me in my tracks.  I think it is either from pressure on my facial nerve or from inflammation or pressure around the trigeminal nerve.  I'm hoping that sx will subside after my surgery --less than two weeks now.   

Hope you feel better.

Jan
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

kixit

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:42:32 am »
I'm all better today. I guess it was "growing pains" but hurt none the less.

Thanks for thoughts!  ;D
Translab 5/24/12

kixit

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:13:47 am »
Something new here-

I woke up at 4 AM (the dog was whining to be pottied) and I noticed a slight twitch at the corner of my mouth post-AN side. No pain or weakness. I layed there, massaging my face, doing "puffs" only for the air to escape on that side. I got the dog situated then back to bed continuing to do facial excercises as I drifted back to sleep. When I woke at 6 AM, I noticed the twitching had moved up under the cheekbone. You can't visibly see it in the mirror but I feel it. I am hoping it's just things coming together like the pain in my head on Sunday or the mild mental confusion I have (from possible fatigue dealing with the imbalanceness?).

I had Bells Palsy in 1991 one week post-baby, so this is nothing like that. Just more of an annoyance.

Thanks for any information or experiences!

Translab 5/24/12

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:27:22 pm »
I had Bells Palsy in 1991 one week post-baby, so this is nothing like that. Just more of an annoyance.

Me, too!  Well, mine was in 1989 one week post-baby...thought I'd had a stroke!  It was on my non-AN side.  Does your eye water and nose run when you eat?  That is something that has lingered with me all these years...always wonder if there is something which could be done to stop that...

Anyway, regarding your AN, glad your sharp pains have subsided.  As far as the new twitches, I do remember a twitch of my eyebrow, I think it was, many weeks after my surgery (I did have temp facial paralysis, though).  Everything pretty much cleared up within a few months, however...

Best to you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

kixit

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:43:41 pm »
Cindy-

My BP was non-AN side as well. It lasted for about 6 weeks. I had the droopy face, eye wouldn't close. Everything resolved. I do feel some weakness in the eye closure but you can't see it on the outside. I don't have the nasal drip or watery eye.
Translab 5/24/12