Author Topic: One year post-op MRI report and question about arachnoid cyst  (Read 3657 times)

mk

I just got the reports for my first year post-op MRI. First of all the good news: Dr. Akagami wrote to me that there is no evidence of the residual tumor that they had left on the nerve and that overall he is very pleased with the appearance. He recommended to have my next MRI in a year and a half from now. I was quite nervous about the results, so I am very relieved and happy with his report.

I also received the radiologist report. It mentions that there is a "small arachnoid cyst overlying the right frontal convexity". Obviously it has been there in all previous scans, but I don't ever remember a mention of this (obviously because they were focusing on the AN). I did a quick search and found out that it is a cyst containing CSF fluid. I don't recall ever reading about this on the forum, has anyone heard of these cysts? Would people with benign tumors be more prone to having such cysts too?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: One year post-op MRI report and question about arachnoid cyst
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:39:37 am »
Marianna

I have one as well.  Every now and then they note it on my head MRI... depends on what mood they are in and if they had coffee that day.  Dr. Claus (yes, the one of the ANA Medical Advisory board) and I have discussed during my appts with her (she's been my NS since Day-1 of my AN diagnosis)... and she told me, in my case, no worries.  Mine is deeper than your's and to my knowledge, is not causing issues.  My bloke may tell you different. :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: One year post-op MRI report and question about arachnoid cyst
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:15:28 am »
I just got the reports for my first year post-op MRI. First of all the good news: Dr. Akagami wrote to me that there is no evidence of the residual tumor that they had left on the nerve and that overall he is very pleased with the appearance. He recommended to have my next MRI in a year and a half from now. I was quite nervous about the results, so I am very relieved and happy with his report.

I also received the radiologist report. It mentions that there is a "small arachnoid cyst overlying the right frontal convexity". Obviously it has been there in all previous scans, but I don't ever remember a mention of this (obviously because they were focusing on the AN). I did a quick search and found out that it is a cyst containing CSF fluid. I don't recall ever reading about this on the forum, has anyone heard of these cysts? Would people with benign tumors be more prone to having such cysts too?

Marianna

I know 2 people one young and the other older that have a cyst forgot where in the brain they are located and they do not have any tumors their doctors are just checking on it and said to leave it  alone as long as there is no growth and no side effects. I would imagine there are many people that have them and do not know because there was no need for a test and continue to live a productive life. Sometimes not knowing is better than constantly waiting for something to grow or cause problems.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.