Author Topic: Thunder thighs won't go????????????????????????????????????????????????  (Read 4804 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
I did some exercises and more walking than usual yesterday.  Last night I tried to get up from a sitting position and couldn't.  My hips and thighs would make the rest of my legs go.  I finally got moving, but very slowly and twisted.  I felt like a robot from the fifties.  I thought I'll just put BenGay on and go to bed.  I forgot my "problem" when I got out of bed this morning and fell on the floor.  I pulled myself up and the pain was excuriating.  It was like my legs were locked.  I forced myself to take baby steps and stayed on my feet as much as possible all day.  It takes me forever to get from a seated position to a standing one.  Sitting back down is equally as hard.  Has this happened to anyone out there?????????????  It's something new everyday in bleepville, Texas.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Thunder thighs won't go????????????????????????????????????????????????
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 05:18:25 pm »
Sometimes my head just don't like to move too fast as when getting up off the couch or its really bad when I gotta get someting offa the bottom shelf at the market. It's more in my head than in my legs. I usually ask the cutest stockboy or guy I can find to help me up! The Earthfare in my town has allthe bulk food I love (granola) on the bottom row of bins and the place they give you to write on the tags is at knee level, so you gotta ben over to write what you got on the tags after crouching on the floor to scoop it in the bags. I usually get it all over the floor!! One time I was a real ***** and had a nasty headache (you know they are aggrivated by moving around) and I asked one of the salespeople to help me get all the stuff I wanted. Staying active and walking every day is really a help.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Windsong

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 05:42:30 pm »
Brendalu

Yes i had this  off and on for a few years before the discovery of my An....hapens more rarely now but does, still.

I have no idea what causes that. My friends have noticed when it happens as they most definitely are not used to seeing me do that "movement". ???

Windsong

Brendalu

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 06:51:53 pm »
Thank you Capt. Deb and Windsong!!!!  At least I know that it isn't unusual.  It just surprised me.  I pretty much have the sales clerks trained in the few stores I visit.  When the stockers see me heading for the eggs they all run to get them for me.  I think I will call this the funky chicken walk.  My Pugs have a stroller so I took them for a walk today.  (it is better than taking my walker)  I'm trying, but I think I will get a bubblewrap suit and wear and maybe attach a few springs here and there... 8)
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 05:16:11 am »
Brenda,
  I used to sit on the floor to make things for my classroom.  I never had a problem getting up and my mother used to tell me that one day you'll not be able to get up.  Which of course made me chuckle.  Well after surgery I slip from the couch to the floor and couldn't get back up  >:(  I hate when mom is right  LOL ;D  Not sure why but I do know it's a pain and like Capt Deb I can't get things off the lower shelf without someone pulling me back up.  Unf. for me there is NEVER a cute stock boy around when I need one! :'(

Brendalu

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 06:43:26 am »
BattyPrincess,

The stock boys that I would think are cute are much too old to be stocking shelves!  I think I'll get one of those grabber things and use the electric carts..............I'm not a good driver so I don't know if they would hide them all when they see  me coming.
Enjoy your day! ::)BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:52:59 am »
Great excercise to strengthen your "getter-uppers"--go down to the Walmart and plunder one o' them "excercise balls" Pump it up to the max size (comes with a pump, you do not have to blow it up. stand against a bare wall with the ball in the middle of your back and your feet slightly out in front. Slowly squat till your thighs are about a right angle to the rest of your legs (all six of em) and then return to origingal posititon. The ball comes with a lot of other excercises, all of which require some amount of balance (HEY! It's ROUND) Marshall, my personal trainer has me using  his balls ---WHOOOOOOPPPS! I MEAN the balls at the gym! (Bad captain, BAD! BAD!)Anyway, he has me usin the GYMS balls a lot for those leg presses, sit ups, dumbell curls, just about everything, cus it trains my balance.
Capt Deb 8)

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 01:02:36 pm »
Hey, I have a way to get back up off the floor.  I had to learn this several years ago when the knee arthritus kicked in.  Curl your legs under you and kneel on all fours as if you are crawling.  Then push the palms against the floor as you raise your bottom half.  The push against the floor with the palms is the trick.  In the same fluid motion grab a sturdy surface and pull up.  (Fluid means movement guys, not drink!  ::)

If you try to pull yourself up from the get-go you are gonna hurt your deltoids and shoulders!

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 02:25:30 pm »
Whatever movements and exercise you all do, just be carefull. In attempting to get out and move my body after walking for several months, I got out hiking on very moderate trails about 9 mo post op. I fell just about everytime I went out getting hurt in one way or another until I finally really did it and ended up having to have scope surgery on my knee 11 mo post op. I was so upset. didn't even make it out of the operating room a yea. It was minor surgery to repair what I had damaged, but non the less, I was in the OR. When I went to physical therapy for the knee is when I realized just how bad off my balance still was. I couldn't do most of the stuff without toppling over. It's been again almost a year since then and 23 mo post AN op my balance is MUCH better but I still topple easily. I do get out hiking best I can. Just have to be careful
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Brendalu

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 03:45:34 pm »
Thank you for all of your suggestions.  I went out and bought a trampoline (like Boppie's), I have done Pilates for long before it was popular, so I got the ball out again and am starting slowly. 
I decided I could take my two teenage granddaughters to the mall shopping for school clothes today.  I ended up under a rack of skimp tank tops at Buttie Call aka Bui-Yah-Kah !  What a sight that was.  The noise in the malls and walking in and out of shops I guess got to me.  I added several new bruises, no broken bones.  My neighbor just retired from teaching so he came over today and said that he is going to be my trainer.(He taught history, health and was the football coach and athletic director.)  All I have to do is make cookies for his college aged son.  He promises he won't hurt me and he and his wife have been reading up on AN's.  Yeah!!!  He said he would teach me to fall so I don't get hurt everytime.  Just every other!!!  I'll let you know how it goes. :) :) :)
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 04:52:47 pm »
Sounds like some forward progess is in the wings for you Brenda.

Static

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 01:11:43 pm »
OMG, I do exactly what Boppie said and I also thought it was just me getting older LOL!  It's a major pita to get up from the floor when I'm down playing with the dog, I feel like I can't get my fat arse moving anymore.  I need energy and I need it now!  Also, what Capt said about bending over and getting the dizzies and headaches, omg, I know exactly what you're talking about.  I tried bending at the knees and sort of stooping down to get what I need, but if I can't hold onto something, down I go!  It's kind of embarrassing and I wouldn't recommend it, asking someone else for help is better.  I usually take my 13 yr old with me.  Cute stockboys work well too!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 01:15:08 pm by Static »
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 01:30:29 pm »
Whatever movements and exercise you all do, just be carefull. In attempting to get out and move my body after walking for several months, I got out hiking on very moderate trails about 9 mo post op. I fell just about everytime I went out getting hurt in one way or another until I finally really did it and ended up having to have scope surgery on my knee 11 mo post op. I was so upset. didn't even make it out of the operating room a yea. It was minor surgery to repair what I had damaged, but non the less, I was in the OR. When I went to physical therapy for the knee is when I realized just how bad off my balance still was. I couldn't do most of the stuff without toppling over. It's been again almost a year since then and 23 mo post AN op my balance is MUCH better but I still topple easily. I do get out hiking best I can. Just have to be careful
Patti UT
I love to hike, too and it is essential to my business as I am a landscape painter and hiking is where I take photos for my paintings (go to my frappr site if ya wanna see a few)
I got TWO telescoping hiking sticks with these ski pole-type handle thingies and I use BOTH of em when I hike. Saved myself from taking a tumble many, many times!
Capt Deb

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 03:33:33 pm »
Deb,
  Yea, the ski pole type walking sticks really are a life saver. Too bad 1/2 the time I decide not to take them thinking I can do it without, ya know trying to challenge myself, then I realize I shoulda brought them. They really are a great help sitting in my garage.
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year