Author Topic: Heading Home  (Read 5913 times)

LizAN

Heading Home
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:31:00 am »
I've been on long enough tonight to tell I've missed a lot of wonderful posts!  Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers and support. I have felt your wonderful energy as I was carried through this process on the wings of angels!

This is my last night at Seton.  Tomorrow we fly home to Austin to start the next chapter of my recovery. When my eyes are less strained, I'll have more to say. It's clear to me I made the right decision seeking treatment at HEC and I am grateful for the experience.

Love and thanks to you all.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Heading Home
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 04:46:19 am »
Hi Liz
Very happy your heading home. Safe travels and remember to take it easy. I agree House is wonderful.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 05:59:56 am »
Liz .....

So glad you are on your way home.  It sounds like you are right on track for an uneventful recovery.  Rest, rest, walk, rest, rest, walk ..... and listen to your body.

The gaze issues should resolve fairly quickly.

Best thoughts and many prayers for a quick recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:16:18 am »
LizAN,

Rest, rest, exercise, rest.....Do as others have said and listen to your body.....take it easy on yourself, allow yourself time to heal.....read a bit but don't overdo it, just until you are tired rest your eyes, then meditate on wellness. Be well my friend! You are well on your way toward that end!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 02:23:15 pm »
Liz ~

Thanks for posting.  I'm so glad to learn that our thoughts and prayers were helpful to you.  Now, come back to us, safely.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 07:31:18 pm »
I've been on long enough tonight to tell I've missed a lot of wonderful posts!  Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers and support. I have felt your wonderful energy as I was carried through this process on the wings of angels!

This is my last night at Seton.  Tomorrow we fly home to Austin to start the next chapter of my recovery. When my eyes are less strained, I'll have more to say. It's clear to me I made the right decision seeking treatment at HEC and I am grateful for the experience.

Love and thanks to you all.

Liz

So happy you are already posting and heading home praying for a speedy recovery it already sounds like you are doing well and you definitely made the right choice for your surgery.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:24:36 pm »
Nothing beats sleeping in your own bed after almost a week of hospital/hotel beds.  Use this time to just rest and then slowly start getting back into the game again! Listen to your body though! :)  Take care and keep us updated!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 02:41:23 pm »
Sorry missed you on your LA visit, Lizan.  But glad to hear everything went smoothly.  Have a great postie life.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

It is what it is

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
How are you doing now that you are home?  Still thinking about you!

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:49:28 pm »
Liz,

Thinking about you and wishing you the best in your recovery.  As you heal, be good to yourself and rest.  One thing that helps if your dizzy is to get up and walk.  Even if it's small stretches.  You are probably enjoying being home and like Jay said, nothing beats sleeping in your own bed. :-)  Remember to take one day at a time and take it easy. 
Best wishes and lots of prayers your way! :-)
Wendy
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”

schmidtkat

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 09:11:11 pm »
Liz,
Congratulations! You are on the other side of this now. As everyone is saying, take it easy and get plenty of rest.
All the best, God bless~ Kathy

cindyj

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 06:20:56 am »
Know you're SO glad to be home, Liz!  Hope you are continuing to improve each day - do keep walking and napping - it seems to be the best post op medicine ;D

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings