Author Topic: Ear Pain - watch and wait still  (Read 15464 times)

MaryCPereira

Ear Pain - watch and wait still
« on: July 21, 2012, 07:20:18 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this has been posted about. I tried looking it up, but most seemed to be post-treatment related. Quick background - I woke up on February 7th, 2012 with a full feeling in my ear and decreased hearing, and ringing. Within a week I found out it was an AN. Pretty much since that exact same time, I have had pain in my ear as well. In fact, thinking about it, it was around before the diagnosis as well. I always wondered if I had an ear infection or something, but it was never bad enough to go to the doctor. Well, since February, it is getting a lot worse. I went to Dr. Santos at Mass Eye and Ear to see what he thought about it, and he seems to think it can't be AN related because it is in my ear, not in the back or on top like most related pain.

So, my question is, has anyone else had this ear pain? It comes and goes but it's pretty frequent. Today it was literally bringing tears to my eyes it was so intense. It sometimes comes when the tinnitus gets bad, but other times its not really connected.  Dr. Santos suggested I clench my teeth, so I got the mouth guard, and it's still just as bad. I have my 6 month MRI in Sept, but I don't know if I can go another month with this pain. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Ear Pain - watch and wait still
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:25:22 pm »
Mary,

It's been a long time since I had left ear pain (2003) to be exact. If you are in that much pain, follow your gut and get another opinion. It is not hard to get a GP to send you for a rush MRI unless there are insurance issues. In cases like this, it's best to follow your gut and shake the Health Care Tree! After all, it is your body, only you know it best!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Lou

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:55:52 pm »
Hi Mary, firstly,sorry about your ear pain. I have had ear issues for the last 20 years, with tubes in every year for ear aches, ear infections, fullness in ear. I have been told that my ear drums don't work. It was only in November of last year that I recieved my diagnosis of bilateral facial nerve neruomas. They only found this as they were looking to do mastiod surgery and ordered a CT, then an MRI after they found 'something' the CT.
In my experience the two go hand in hand. Be strong and go with your gut. I spent ages going back and forth to the doctors and being made to feel like I was imagining the symptoms
good luck in your quest
Loux
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:18:30 am »
Hi , sorry about your pains too,, I did have something that sounds very similar in my AN ear too before surgery.. don't even know how long I endured it because I too did not think much of it as it was so intermittent,, but would be shooting pain at times and then sometimes just steady pain for a short period..thinking back I remember massaging the ear area several times,, not knowing why it hurt so badly... I don't know for sure if it was AN related although will say since my translab 9 mo ago, I have not experienced it..
I too would suggest another Dr opinion,, especially if you are watch and wait.. can't hurt. Not really sure why this Dr says it isn't related because it is "in your ear"... hmmm.... that is the "general" area of an AN....... but I am not a Dr so just my  opinion. But knowing you have an AN ,, I would not endure that pain without another opinion I don't believe, I did not know I had the AN when I was first experiencing it,, or I probably would not have w&w for 3 yrs.... good luck,, hope you can find some relief.. Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

BlueSky

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:15:59 pm »
I had a weird pain yesterday, It felt like it started in my ear and then went down to the jaw area. It was pretty uncomfortable, though it only lasted a few moments. My doctor said there shouldn't be any pain associated with this thing, but it's easy to say that when you don't actually have one.

MaryCPereira

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:50:34 am »
I had a weird pain yesterday, It felt like it started in my ear and then went down to the jaw area. It was pretty uncomfortable, though it only lasted a few moments. My doctor said there shouldn't be any pain associated with this thing, but it's easy to say that when you don't actually have one.

This is exactly how I feel...how can it not be related? And most of the research I've done on it says it's rare, but that it can cause pain...and at was also rare to have symptoms come on suddenly, but that happened to me too, so..
I don't know, it's just so frustrating. I'm sick of doctors making me feel like I'm making stuff up. Before the AN diagnosis I was seeing a neurologist for daily headaches, and she basically didn't believe me at all and was giving me some sorta anti-depressant. Even when I lost my hearing, all she could do was yell at me for not taking the meds she prescribed, even though they hadn't helped in the 3 months I'd been on them.

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 11:37:21 am »
Mary,
Sorry you are still having these pains,, I know mine were very painful and although infrequent,, painful while ongoing..

I don't know who diagnosed your AN, if it was Dr Santos,, I also don't know what "type" of Dr he is,, ENT, neurotologist, GP,,, but he seems unconcerned. One thing I have realized over the years of dealing with Drs. is that quite often 1) they don't "know" you and spend typically 15 min. on your reason for being there and then poof they deal out meds and "hope' you get better,,,2) only YOU know how you are feeling and yes, maybe we are not always as proficient as we could be in explaining it to Dr, but it is part of their "job" to get the best idea from asking questions  from what we do say as to what may be going on,, not ALL of them are as concerned about doing that part of their job as they might should be,, and 3) in that case,, you certainly "owe" them nothing and do not have to return to them if you are unsatisfied with their performance... and I totally agree that having a Dr yell at me for not following instructions about meds when you have explained that they are not working  is TOTALLY unacceptable and I most definitely would not return to that Dr.. there are MANY more Drs around and some need to realize that....some,,, not all of course ,, are very arogant about their "self-worth and abilities"..........

Have you asked any friends about ENTs that they use ,, that is one good way to find a good Dr. ,,I  agree it can be very frustrating not to say expensive to find a good Dr nowadays... also there are patient advocates that I have heard of although I don't know how to go about finding one, but some on here have and do use them,, that may be an avenue to explore..
But most importantly when dealing with your health is , I believe, you have to realize that it is your body, only you know how you are feeling and to what degree your symptoms are inpacting your life,, and it is up to you to continue to look until you find a Dr that is compassionate and not afraid to spend some quality time with his/her patients until they can determine what is going on,, to just listen for 10-15 min to your "complaints" and then prescribe meds and then not listen later to how you have reacted to those meds,, it totally unacceptable ,, that is not a compassionate considerate Dr and there are some out there....

sorry to rant, but I have been dealing with Drs. trying to get accurate diagnosis for another pain, unrelated totally, and have "run across" many of the type of Drs I am speaking of,, and it is very frustrating,,, hang in  there and ask around about maybe an ENT for this ear pain ,, these ANs are so rare, or have been in the past, that not many Drs are going to know much about them, their symptoms or what they can cause us to deal with and those same Drs. are not going to admit it,,,,,

If you have not done so, you may want to send your MRI and any auditory testing out to the House Ear Institute as you have probably read about on here and at least get a second opinion from one of their Drs. When he calls to talk, ask him about this issue and anything else you are concerned about.. I did it and they are wonderful resources to speak with  even if you are not considering using them,,, it is most helpful to talk to Drs  that have actual experience with these tumors as they have dealt with patients that have experienced all sorts of symptoms......there are also other Drs/hospitals that will give free consults but I am not aware of which would be close to you.... good luck,,, I hope you are able to find a Dr that will be honest and upfront with you concerning this symptom.... sorry to rant... not a good day I guess.... :)   Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011

PamJ

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 03:39:24 pm »
Hi Mary yes I had ear pain, it was 3 years ago I went to the Drs with ear pain and a feeling of my ear being full, an MRI scan showed I had a acoustic neuroma but was told pain was not a usual sympton of the type of tumour I had.  For three years I had numerous MRI and CT scans but the pain was getting worse and was sent to a pain management clinic but none of the painkillers could control the pain.  Eventually after 3 years the Drs decided to take my tumour and and hey presto no more pain it was such a relief and am glad I had the operation.  I had to lose my hearing on the side the tumour was but 3 weeks ago I was fitted with a BAHA and it will be switched on in about 8 weeks time. 
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

appleblossom

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 09:50:24 pm »
It's kind of ironic that I found this post tonight.  Earlier this evening I noticed a sharp pain in my AN ear and I was wondering if it was related to the tumor.  It was really brief but it was startling because the pain was so sharp.
Jen
Diagnosed with 12mmx 5mm x 5mm on 7/13/12. Anxiously awaiting surgery.

MaryCPereira

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 06:53:58 am »
Well, I met with the doctor again, and this was the 4th time I mentioned the ear pain. The other 3 times, they all said that it couldnt' be connected.
This time I was more firm and said no, it is NOT muscular, it is NOT TMJ. And I mentioned this forum, and how a lot of you have experienced the same thing. He finally agreed that it can cause pain. Why he didnt' do that the first time I mentioned it is beyond me.

Hence the request for a 2nd opinion.  ;)

alabamajane

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 03:48:52 pm »
Good luck with your second,, and third if needed ;),, opinions,, I think you will find them very useful in your decision-making process even if they agree with the first,, you will have more confirmation.. let us know how it goes. Great that you stood up to Dr.,, "they" need it some times... many of them just don't like to "second guess " themselves...!! Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011

millie

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:01:36 pm »
How is your ear pain?  I was looking for info on this topic tonight and lo and behold found this thread.  Just wanted to say that sometimes, I have ear pain and it is in the left ear deep inside-where the neuroma is.  This is something new and recent.  My an has grown in the last five months-and my hearing has totally decreased and I have more head fullness and earinging and a funny sense of being off balance.  I walk straight but feel crooked.  I really cannot walk heel to toe.  I function perfectly well and look fine. 
But now I think sometimes I have pain in the other ear too!  Maybe it is from swimming?
I know rest usually helps me. 
Thinking of you.
Millie

MaryCPereira

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 12:42:21 pm »
Millie -

I still have the pain, and sometimes I get in on my left side, too! I'm always paranoid that this means NF2 and another tumor in there. That's what they thought when I first was diagnosed, based on my MRIs, but they have since said it's just a blood vessel, and I'm a 1 tumor type of gal haha. But, I think I have PTSD or something from that day of NF2 research, and I'm scarred for life.

My pain is deep deep inside, too. Usually when it comes it hits hard, and then will subside a bit, then hit hard again...it comes in waves like that, until it eventually goes away. I was worried for a while that it was growing when it hurt like that, but I had my 6 month and it hasn't grown at all. Silly paranoia I guess, but still!

Hope you're all doing well!