Author Topic: Sound Bite  (Read 3828 times)

april428

• Facebook
Sound Bite
« on: August 14, 2012, 03:26:47 pm »
Hello All--

It's been a long time, relatively speaking... and I had a question..... I'm coming up on four years post-op and this SSD is really bothering me..... I've been lurking on the SoundBite website for a while, and now that it's made it to the market.... I wonder... Has anyone here gotten it? What are your experiences?

Thanks so much.
April
36mm x 27mm x 28mm, right side
Minor hearing loss only symptom
Diagnosed July 30, 2008 (age 29)
Retrosigmoid (Suboccipital) Dec 18th 2008
SSD, no facial paralysis
The AN calendar http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Sound Bite
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »
Check out this thread http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=10753.msg124376#msg124376

Also, if you put "Sound Bite" in the search box in the upper righthand corner of your screen you'll find some more threads.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

millie

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »
This may sound like a silly question, but what if a person has a lot of root canals and crowns?
Thanks.
Millie

maxine

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:38:37 pm »
Hi,

I've also been looking into the TransEar and Soundbite  online a bit.  I don't know if this is accurate or not, but I read somewhere that you have to have molars in good shape on the side of your AN (I think you can have dental work done on them as long as it's well-maintained) and you also have to have gums in decent condition, with no pockets bigger than a 5 in the molar area if that makes any sense.  I also have a lot of dental work and gum issues. I"ll be interested to hear if you find anything out. I am scheduled to have a hearing aid assessment in a few weeks and can post back if I find anything out,

Maxine

millie

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 01:55:06 pm »
Thanks very much. 

kaykay

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:28:21 am »
I have it...and I love it! i posted about it before....
I can plug my good ear and hear from my deaf one! its amazing. I can even talk on my phone using my deaf ear...
its so much better then having a hole in your head and some device sticking out. not my cup of tea.
if you have any questions send me a message.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:16:27 pm »
its so much better then having a hole in your head and some device sticking out. not my cup of tea.

While it's wonderful that you've found a solution to your SSD, as someone who personally has a "hole" in my head and "some device sticking out", I have to say that I take offense to this post. 

The BAHA isn't for everyone - but then again, neither is the Sound Bite, which personally I can't imagine wearing.

Hearing technology is a personal choice - just like AN treatment.  One size doesn't fit all.

Respectfully,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

millie

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 07:17:35 pm »
Hi folks-
I have surgery October 17th translab and the doctor did mention that I might be interested in learning about Soundbite and also the BAHA.  I am thinking it will be enough to get through the surgery and hopefully get rid of the "full" headed feeling and I am hoping no worsening balance issues.  I am accepting the SSD, but am now thinking wouldn't it be great to hear better?  Maybe being able to hear in my left ear will lessen the buzzing and the earrringing and the fullheadedness.However, I am afraid to hope.  I have had lots of fillings, caps, crowns, root canals.  I will contact my ENT tomorrow and let you know what he says.
I have not been online much due to planning for an  upcoming wedding whose gaiety we desperately need! Yay for the good times!
Millie

Tamster

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 05:33:58 pm »
Hi April
I've had a Sound Bite now for almost 9 months and would be happy to answer your questions.
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

millie

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 07:34:21 am »
No word yet on the soundbite except I can google it and BAHA.
In the last month, I have had an old rootcanal/crown extracted with a bovine implant(bone cells) to regenerate bone in case I ever want an implant.  It depends on whether the bone graft takes, and really, I don't think I want the trauma. I am tired of things going on in my head.  Meanwhile, I broke my right upper #5 while chewing on a granola bar and now need a root canal and crown in that.  I have emailed the doctors to ask if this is all okay since I have AN surgery scheduled October 17th.
Thanks.