Author Topic: Had my first MRI after CK  (Read 7578 times)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Had my first MRI after CK
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:06:55 pm »
Apparently, things are good!   ;)

Had my first MRI after CK which ended up being 5 months out.  MRI was with out contrast (which I argued for contrast), showed .8mm change in size which the doctor said could be attributed to error in measurement (he didn't seem to think it had to do with swelling; maybe he should read postings on this forum)  8).  Doctor seemed very happy, so I'm very happy. 

Doctor asked how my dizziness/balance was.  I said well, I'm not falling down but I am bumping into door jams; he said that's good.   ??? 

Doctor also said that the telling MRI will be in six months so need to schedule one for April 2013! 

I do have an appointment next month with the oncologist so that should be interesting to get his take on my dizziness/balance issues.  Not sure why I need to have a 6 month check with him but what else do I have to do?   ;D

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Had my first MRI after CK
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:07:43 pm »
Doctor seemed very happy, you are very happy, I am very happy too  ;D

Congratulations!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:11:25 pm »
If your Doctor is happy, it is cause for rejoicing! Congratulations, Karen! ;D ;D ;D

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 02:28:11 pm »
Congrats, Karen!!   :)

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 11:33:26 pm »
It's great to hear you received good news.  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 02:42:09 am »
Hi Karen
Firstly that is great news and I also congratulate your oncologist for following up.  I haven't seen my neuro since he took the blighter out!   :o

On the bit about it being good to have the dizziness/wonky headedness, I saw my GP today and he's upped the Paxtine he put me on 6 weeks ago to see if it helps.  Prior to this I was taking diazapam and I needed more and more to get the same effect so I weaned off it and went back to my new doctor.
If this dose doesn't work or I find that I'm having side-effects then I'm going to wean off them and see either the ENT or Neurosurgeon.

Are you on any sort of medication?

Hugs to all,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

chloes mema

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 09:00:54 am »
Hi Suu

No meds, neurotologist doesn't seem prone to writing prescriptions.  Funny, I was at the vets with my new puppy so I asked her if there isn't some meds I can take for the dizziness; she said yes & basically said to talk to the pharmacists about OTC meds.  I just love our vet.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

ChipsFL

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:11:21 pm »
Dramamine helped, and then things just fixed itself.
4-2012,  CK, Wellington, Fl
11-2012, Followup MRI- "no Sig. change"
10-2015 Followup MRI- Tumer Shrunk In Size

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:46:32 am »
Hello again Karen
The Paxtine didn't work for the dizziness but has worked on my anxiety attacks.  ;D
The doc has me on Stemitil which is anti-nausea medication but only for a week so I can enjoy my family coming to stay for a few days' holiday.
He said I could also try motion sickness tablets over the counter that contain antihistamine.

ChipsFL - Can dramamine be taken with glaucoma and is it an over-the-counter medication that you get without a prescriptiion?

Best wishes,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

chloes mema

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 07:03:33 am »
Hi Suu
Have you tried the OTC pressure bands, they're called Sea Band, they fit like a bracelet with a little "button" that you place at a certain spot on your wrist; they're used for sea sickness and nausea.  I have a pair that I was using after my CK, they did help.  My medicine drawer has all sorts of new things.

Hope all is well with you.
Hugs
Karen

Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Tumbleweed

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:57:03 pm »

Had my first MRI after CK which ended up being 5 months out.  MRI was with out contrast (which I argued for contrast), showed .8mm change in size which the doctor said could be attributed to error in measurement (he didn't seem to think it had to do with swelling; maybe he should read postings on this forum)  ...
Doctor also said that the telling MRI will be in six months so need to schedule one for April 2013! 
Karen

Hi, Karen:

Three points:
1. I agree with you that your MRI should've included a series taken with contrast. That is the industry standard for followup MRIs after CK for an AN.

2. Your doctor is correct that the apparent change in size could be attributed to error in measurement. The inherent error for MRI is 2 mm, due to differing head positions each time you get an MRI series taken and the physical intervals apart from one another at which the images are taken. Your .8mm change easily falls within this range. Every time you have an MRI taken, the images are taken at different "slices" through the brain. If the MRI five months ago included a slice taken just beyond the edge of the tumor (where it didn't exist), the tumor would've appeared to be smaller (i.e., missing up to 2 mm of tumor tissue closer to the previous slice). Then, if one of the slices in the most recent MRI landed just inside the tumor's edge, the tumor would appear to be 2 mm larger. Any one dimension that's within 2 mm of previous measurements is statistically inconclusive. It is very common for a static tumor to appear 1 to 2 mm bigger or smaller along one axis of measurement when comparing two MRI series. If it appears to be larger along two or three axes, however, that would be a cause for concern. From what you've related, that is not the case with your MRI. So, don't worry about the .8mm difference. It's completely inconclusive and insignificant.

3. Your doctor is correct that the 11-month MRI will be more conclusive. That's usually the earliest MRI series in which swelling or shrinkage is likely to show up. It is standard procedure to have a followup MRI six months after the first one.

Relax, you're doing great!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

chloes mema

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 02:43:00 pm »
TW

Thanks for the encouraging words; however, there has been a minor set back.  Had a couple of hemifacial spasms so am now on a steroid pack for 6 days, seems to be helping.  Didn't want to take steroids but then having my face not looking like my face was not an option.  Remember that song Your So Vain?   ;D

Better days are coming!   ;)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Bonnie B.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 07:42:03 am »
Karen, Sorry to hear about your facial spasms.  The steroids should hopefully help.  Keep me posted.   My first MRI post GK was done with contrast.  I wonder why doctors differ. 

Bonnie
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

chloes mema

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 05:38:05 pm »
Bonnie
Steroids aren't helping, had a spasm yesterday and a bad one tonight. 

Have no idea why doctors differ.  I asked for an MRI with contrast & he said no it wasn't necessary; it cost too much money.  Now I should have asked him why do you care you're NOT paying for it?  Oh, well...

Off to do more on-line research on facial spasms.

Karen

Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

ChipsFL

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 12:24:20 pm »
Hello again Karen
The Paxtine didn't work for the dizziness but has worked on my anxiety attacks.  ;D
The doc has me on Stemitil which is anti-nausea medication but only for a week so I can enjoy my family coming to stay for a few days' holiday.
He said I could also try motion sickness tablets over the counter that contain antihistamine.

ChipsFL - Can dramamine be taken with glaucoma and is it an over-the-counter medication that you get without a prescriptiion?

Best wishes,
Suu xxoo

Sorry I missed your question until just now, so you have probably already found the answers but, Yes it's an over the counter but I don't know about glaucoma. 
4-2012,  CK, Wellington, Fl
11-2012, Followup MRI- "no Sig. change"
10-2015 Followup MRI- Tumer Shrunk In Size