Author Topic: Looking for some suggestions  (Read 2779 times)

Raja123

Looking for some suggestions
« on: October 13, 2012, 08:21:48 am »
Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with 4 cm  AN in Oct 2010 and went for surgery in Jan 2011 in London hospital, On with Drs. Parnes and Hebb. They used retrosigmoid approach and remove some of my AN. After surgery I did my MRI and it showed aggressive regrowth and the Drs suggested for another surgery in June 2011. I went for second opinion with Dr. Nedzelski in Sunnybrook Hospital in July 2011. He looked at recent MRI and suggested for re-surgery within a year. He was talking about more aggressive approach for complete removal of the tumor which is kind of scary for me and I did not like his approach. Fortunately, the AN did not show any change my next MRI in Set 2011. I was busy with my study and planning to complete it before going for another surgery. 
I was followed up by Dr Hebb (Neurosurgen) in London, On and he gave me two options in Oct 2011. Watch and wait or Surgery!
I finished my Phd degree and started to work from Nov 2011. In the mean time, I followed up with multiple MRI. Unfortunately, my MRI in April 2012 showed some pressure on my brain and the doctor (Dr Hebb) suggested to go for surgery. My tumor was 38 mm at that time.
In the mean time, I meet Dr Hebb and he explained the approach. He was trying to use conservative approach to protect my facial nerve. I also met Dr Parnes and he was trying follow more aggressive approach to completely remove the tumor. He also explained the probability of side effect which was just like Dr Nedzelski's version. I disagree with Dr Parnes and said I dont want to go for surgery. Dr Parnes called me back after three days and he was ready to combine both approach (conservative and aggressive).
I did my re-surgery in Sept 21, 2012 with the Drs Hebb and Parnes. The surgery was very successful and recovery was very fast. I came home in four days from London hospital to Guelph. Fortunately, I dont have any side effect except hearing loss in left ear. The bad thing is I still have 1.8cm tumor.

I had my follow up appointment with Dr Hebb in Oct 10 2012. He showed me the before and after surgery MRI. He wants to follow up with another MRI after 6 months...just to see if it grows back or not..if it grows back then re-surgery and radiation after that surgery.

I am thinking that my AN size is good for radiation and I want to go with Gamma knife radiation for that.
As this forum has lots of members with radiation experience, can you please give me some advice about where to go next and which doctors at Toronto Western are good. I do not mind to go to Ottawa or Montreal.
It is very long but I can not stop...hahaha
Thank you and have a nice day!

Raja

Be happy!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Looking for some suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:49:19 am »
All I can give you is a personal opinion, not a medical one.

My right side AN is small but has grown a little in the past 6 months so I am exploring my options and, for me, I think Gamma Knife is the way to go. It's non-invasive and often done as an outpatient where you go home after just a few hours.

My hearing on the right side is completely gone and isn't coming back so the sooner I get it done, the better.

With all your surgeries to date, I think Gamma Knife is the way to go while the remaining tumor is still small.

While some people experience no AN growth, the majority of ANs do grow.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:32:32 am »
Welcome Raja,

I concur with Arizonajack, although I am also not a Medical Doctor, I think that considering your history a noninvasive procedure might be the best option to pursue in that your tumor is still falling within parameters where it maybe of some benefit. A second and a third Medical opinion would be something that I would urge.

What do others feel?

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 03:44:22 pm »
Hello, Raja ~

I offer you my experience in the hope that it may assist you in making a treatment decision.

I was diagnosed with a large AN (4.5 cm) that was pressing hard on my brain stem although my symptoms were not excessive.  Surgery was indicated, as quickly as possible.  However, I was concerned about post-op complications, primarily facial nerve impairment.  The prominent neurosurgeon I consulted (30 years of AN removal experience) presented me with a plan to 'de-bulk' the tumor, that is, peel away layers (a very tedious, 9-hour process) that would render the remaining tumor much thinner, a bit smaller and very susceptible to the effects of the radiation he planned as 'step 2' in my treatment.  He chose FSR to minimize tissue damage and lessen the probability of nerve damage. After a 90-day 'rest period' (the doctors term) I underwent 26 FSR treatments (with no negative effects).  They were co-supervised by my neurosurgeon and a brilliant young oncology physician who 'mapped' the radiation pattern for maximum effect on the tumor and minimum affect on me.     

I underwent the de-bulking surgery and had almost no complications, specifically, no facial nerve involvement.  The FSR was uneventful and later MRI scans showed tumor necrosis and the beginnings of shrinkage.  My symptoms never returned and with some work on my part, my balance was restored to approximately 80% of normal (my estimate).  Unfortunately, the hearing in the AN-affected ear was permanently lost but I've adapted quite well.  All this occurred over six years ago, when I was a lad of 63.  Today, I'm doing great and enjoying life.

Based on my experience, my suggestion to you, following your two surgeries, is to undergo radiation of the remaining tumor.  I found the FSR to be tedious (26 separate sessions over 5 weeks) yet very effective.  However, the kind of radiation to use is a choice to be made by you in consult with your doctor(s).  I wish you well as you approach this decision.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 06:07:23 pm »
Hi Raja,

Your situation certainly sounds like Jim's, who had such a successful outcome by the combination of surgery and FSR.
You have certainly gone through a lot. I am not a doctor, but I think that you are right not wanting to wait, and given the size of your AN follow up with radiation right away. In Ontario you have mainly two options for radiation: The first is GK at the Gamma Knife centre, at Toronto Western. Try to get a referral to see Dr. Cusimano at the GK centre. He is very well versed in both approaches (also operates at St.Michael's in Toronto) and is considered one of the top experts and a very compassionate doctor. Dr. Schwartz is another well known name at TWH GK centre, and Sunnybrook.

The other option is Cyberknife. There are two newer centres, one in Ottawa and one in Hamilton (which would be closer to you). I haven't heard anything about the centre in Hamilton, but I have heard very good things about Dr. Sinclair who does CK in Ottawa.

Out of the three centres, the GK at TWH is older, with a lot of expertise on ANs. CK offers a different technology and would be worthwhile investigating. The wait times at TWH are not too bad, I am not sure about Ottawa. I would urge you to try and get the referrals right away, so that you don't risk further aggressive growth, which would take you again out of the limits for radiation.

Please don't hesitate to send me a PM if you need more information about TWH etc.

Marianna 
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.