Author Topic: Problems after Brain Tumor Surgery  (Read 4617 times)

kareno

Problems after Brain Tumor Surgery
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:22:02 pm »
In March 2010 my husband had a 3 cm Acoustic Neuroma removed retrosigmoid approach.  Dr. Heillman did a superb job Tufts Medical Center.  After his surgery he had minimal headaches,  and complete loss of hearing in his ear.  Also he had short term memory issues (losing keys, wallet, phone, remembering peoples names etc) speech pronunciation of words and trouble with learning new tasks.  He has had two follow up MRI's both all clear no sign of the dreaded tumor.  My question is the short term memory, speech and frustration with tasks has not improved at all.  We have been to see the neurologist they did blood work and a series of neurological physical tests all were fine.  Could this just be the after effects of the surgery? Does anyone have information regarding these symptoms.

Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

PaulW

Re: Problems after Brain Tumor Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 07:37:06 pm »
What you are describing is not unusual for people with AN's or that have had them removed.
The problems can be surgery related especially with larger tumours, but often the surgery does not explain the problems.

Many believe it is a result of a compromised balance system, which your husband would now have.
Your body does compensate over time, speeding up the process may help.

I had problems with memory, typing and speaking BEFORE treatment.
Thankfully now gone.

This link may "strike a nerve" pun intended as to what might be happenning.
http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/symptoms#cognitive

Anything that challenges your balance system may help this in the long term.

Many people swear by Vestibular Exercises.
Personally I found just plain regular walking to be very helpful.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

mikechinnock

Re: Problems after Brain Tumor Surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:50:43 am »
After results certainly can vary with with patient. I am 34 years post surgery and still forget names, wallet, keys, speech pronunciation of words and trouble with learning new tasks .... Maybe improvements in this area post surgery are offset by aging. Have you ever walked into the kitchen and wonder just why you went in there ?
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.