Author Topic: ENDOSCOPIC AN REMOVAL  (Read 10458 times)

v357139

ENDOSCOPIC AN REMOVAL
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:40:33 pm »
Has anyone heard of endoscopic acoustic neuroma removal?  I see a Dr Jho at Allegheny General in Pittsburgh does it.  Does anyone know anything about this type of procedure, or Dr Jho?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: ENDOSCOPIC AN REMOVAL
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:28:59 pm »
Here's an article:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/neurosurgery/documents/s-0031-1275335-acoustic.pdf

Looks like brain surgery is still brian surgery, just another technique.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

v357139

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:35:22 pm »
Thanks much.  Looks like it has some advantages.  Has anyone had an endoscopic AN removal?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:01:14 pm »
Hi;
   It seems Dr Shahinian's shenanigans is still going. He sued a Neurosurgeon to get there at Cedars Sinai. Shihanian was only a general surgeon performing these. Actually, more of a plastic surgeon.
   This surgical approach has been reported as inherently dangerous by more than just me.
   Let the patient do some research and not bleed out before a larger hole can be drilled if a blood vessel is nicked.
   HEI Drs have examined this approach with all thumbs down.
   But alas, it seems Mass. General wants to make money also.

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 02:57:16 pm »
There are actually a lot of surgeons who use endoscopic tools to help remove AN's.
I think it is important to recognise that these tools are in common use already and many surgeons choose to use them.
By using these endoscopic tools, brain retraction can be reduced, potentially reducing bruising to the brain and avoiding stretching the optic nerve. The tools themselves can nibble away at the tumour and potentially reduce facial paralysis and assist in hearing preservation.

So why are some procedures more controversial than others?
Probably because they promote minimally invasive endoscopic removal.

Does a small hole in the skull, really make much difference to a bigger hole in the skull as far as patient outcomes?
Is it wise to only use endoscopic tools exclusively, versus endoscopic tools where appropriate?

There is nothing wrong with using endoscopic tools for AN removals, many surgeons use them, its how you use them.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

v357139

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:31:15 pm »
You are right, there is a distinction to be made.  Use of just the endoscope for the whole procedure, is not accepted by the medical profession.  Sometime causes bleeding that is hard to stop.

That is different than using the endoscope for just parts of the procedure.  That is called adjunctive endoscopic.  Seems to be gaining some acceptance, especially on West Coast.

rosaria52

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 03:30:56 pm »
My son is 25 years old and he has an acoustic neuroma on his left ear.  We scheduled an endoscopic surger with Dr. Shahinian in Los Angeles.  I have spoken directly with the the doctor and some of his patients and he is highly recommended.  I hope to "God" we have made the right decision.  My son did not want to have the traditional surgery
and thinks this is a goods option..  The surgery is 4 hours and he stays 2 days in the hospital. We are scheduled to fly to L.A April 29th and surgery April 30th.  Please pray for us.  Hopefully, this will be a good option for the future.

v357139

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 12:35:30 pm »
Best of luck.  I do not know anything about that DR.  Will pray for you.

neetze1

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 07:44:36 pm »
You and your son are in my thoughts and prayers!  Please keep us posted!
Anita
South Jersey
Translab 3/20/13 at HEI for 3.5 centimeter
Dr. Luxford, Dr. Lekovic, Dr. Stefan

rosaria52

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 10:31:44 am »
Like I stated in my previous post, my husband and I decided to take my son to California to Dr. Shahinian for endoscopic surgery.
The surgery was an April 23rd, 2013.  After five months of research, after all of the fear and the tears I have shead, the schock of this acoustic neuroma, 15 consultations,  somehow I came across Skull Base Center in California Dr. Shahinian.  I spoke to many of his patients and they all had good results.  Anyway, my son surgery was four hours long,  two days in the hospital and we flew home to Chicago the same week.  Everything turned out great! He had five staples and they have already been removed, he has no facial paralysis, he did loose a little bit more hearing, he continues to have some headaches, but the doctor said it's normal.  His brain was never touched or moved to the side.  We have pictures of the tumor too.  He received the best patient care at the hospital, also when my son was in surgery every hour we got a call from the nurse letting us know how the surgery was going.
The nurses took care of him all night long and made him comfortable.  Everything went so smooth, and no brain leakage.  I guess I am just so happy.  He is my only son.  I would recommended it to anyone to have this type of surgery done instead of having your skull open, but then its also a personal choice,  I understand.  This procedure worked best for us.  I just wanted to share with you.
Thank you and good luck to everyone.  David is 25 years old he is home recovering right now tomorrow will be 3 weeks and he is doing so well, he is already driving, his wound you can hardly see, again I am just a very happy mother.  Thanks for reading this.

v357139

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »
Very glad it worked out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for sharing.  God bless.

polaka12

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 06:44:33 pm »
That is great to hear!!  How large was his tumor?
I am having endoscopic surgery here in florida. The skull base institute doesn't take my insurance.

v357139

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 08:25:54 pm »
Just to say again, very happy for you and your son.  Wish I had the courage to go outside the mainstream.  Very, very happy for you.  Now one of these days, I will be able to make a decision and move forward also.  Can't wait forever.

rosaria52

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 08:50:01 am »
My son's tumor was 1.5 cmm, I am not sure of the excat size, sorry I don't have the paperowork with me.
I know a decision has to be made, my son almost went with radiation and Dr. Shahinian was our last consultation and we were debating if to do it or not because the consulations was expensive, but then we figured we had done so many one more was not going to make any difference, and if we did not do it maybe
we would have regret it one day.  So, it ended up being the best consultation ever.  You see about six years ago'
I lost my first born son in a car accident and still grieving, now my youngest son was diagnosed with a tumor.
Such luck right?  So, I would do anything but it seems like with this tumor there is not much choice.
So, to anyone good luck, I know it's hard believe me, I have been through a lot and if anyone wants to talk
to me or my son in whatever decision you are making, we are here to help you I mean it.

freespirit328

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 12:22:07 pm »
Hello Polaka12 I am in Florida who are you going to for Endoscopic?  My tumor is quite large I am really trying to be open minded and also looking
at Dr Shahinian as my gut says I will be just fine.  House said most likely I will lose my hearing from the not so clear films I sent.  Just resent them better quality. 
My tumor is 3.4x2.3x1.5 one tumor two parts at first they thought its a Meningioma still has a very slight possibility but most likely its a Vestibular Schwannoma.  I hear well so the thought of losing my hearing in one ear is not appealing.
Diagnosed 5 weeks ago with MRI with Contrast.   :-[

Rosario so sorry for your loss!  I am happy that you had a positive result at the Skull Base Institute and your son is now healing.
In need of choosing and option seeing all possibilities so I have no regrets.  have a 3.4 x 2.3 x1.5 one tumor two parts.  The 1.5 is by the ear not all the way in the rest is on my balance nerve and brain b/w the ponse and cerebellum