Author Topic: Initial Symptoms  (Read 3214 times)

GWB2012

Initial Symptoms
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:14:07 am »
Hi Everyone,

I came across the site and you all seemed very helpful so I just wanted to ask a few questions as you all have experience with AN.

Approximately 2 weeks ago I woke up with some pain in my right ear and the pain gradually left me but I've had a constant ringing in the ear ever since and I can hear very little. At first I wasn't too concerned until I started to experience some strange sensations on the right side of my face, and all I could really explain it as is pressure in and around my eye and cheekbone. I've also had the odd pain on my at random areas of the skull and some pressure on the back of my neck.

I haven't suffered any symptoms such as balance issues or vertigo, but I would say that I have certainly been feeling tired and have suffered from palpitations during sleep which I think is more stress related.

I went to see my GP and he did a quick check of my ears and found no damage to the eardrum and referred me to my nearest ENT clinic in early May. He took a voice recording which I presume is listened to by the hospital and in this he mentioned potential damage to the acoustic nerve, so naturally I looked it up and found AN and when I read the symptoms it has worried me.

I know AN is generally slow growing, but would you suggest going to a hospital sooner, possibly through A&E? I'm a 27 year old male and expectant dad so I'm worried about waiting too long and I do have a family history of brain tumors / cancer which is an added concern.

Many Thanks.

G.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Initial Symptoms
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 08:46:07 am »
Hi ~

Your symptoms could have many causes but the best way to rule an acoustic neuroma in or out as the source of your symptoms is an MRI scan of the head.  A doctor has to order the MRI and it's expensive (thousands) so your insurance company will have to approve it.  You may want to consult a neurosurgeon if an ENT is reluctant to order an MRI.  Neurosurgeons tend to be more educated about ANs and will not be as hesitant as some doctors to request an MRI to determine the cause of your symptoms.

Please let us know how you're doing.  Thanks.

Jim 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:46:21 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 11:02:31 am »
Hi G,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having these symptoms.  As Jim has already said, you need to get an MRI, that's the only way you're going to find out what's going on.  I would add, get an MRI with and without contrast.  Don't let the medical establishment, and the insurance establishment prevent you from getting the necessary tests.  Find a good proactive doctor who will order the tests.  Of course, you need insurance approval first, as Jim has pointed out.

I hope all goes well for you.

mikechinnock

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:05:44 pm »
[do have a family history of brain tumors / cancer which is an added concern

I was told by my neurosurgeon that there was no genetic link to AN.
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 12:35:58 am »
Your symptoms could be anything but they are also classic symptoms of an Acoustic Neuroma that might also be affecting the facial nerve.

These things are bad news and they don't improve over time.

I'm appalled that the medical system wherever you are would make you wait two months to see an ENT who will likely refer you for an MRI anyway which will then have to be scheduled maybe a month after that.

These little buggers can do some real damage in 3 months.

I suggest doing whatever it takes to get the MRI ASAP.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

New girl

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:27:24 pm »
It is my understanding that the majority of ANs are NOT genetic.  I also have a family history of brain tumors.  My grandmother had 4 meningiomas, her son (my uncle) has an AN, and I also had an AN.  My neurosurgeon thinks there may be some sort of genetic link.  I agree with him.  I think there is still a lot that is unknown about the genetics.   
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:48:08 am by New girl »
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons