Author Topic: Gamma Knife with sedation? Anyone do it this way?  (Read 3610 times)

Nank

Gamma Knife with sedation? Anyone do it this way?
« on: June 27, 2013, 02:03:35 pm »
I met with the radiology oncologist yesterday.  I have severe claustrophobia.  The last two MRIs I did were upright MRIs where you can sit up and watch TV.  That was awesome for me!  Now I see the Gamma Knife and helmet thing and MRI first then the machine.  I told them I CANNOT do it and be awake.  They said okay and they would put me out.

Anyone else do it this way?  Really, I am totally afraid of my head going into the MRI machine.  I KNOW I can't do it.  They said okay, but of course, I am still scared.

Thanks for any advice.

Nank

1.3x0.7 cm AN in right ear
Diagnosed 6/12/13
Tinnitus, ear pain
No hearing loss
GK 7/25/13

phantagrae

Re: Gamma Knife with sedation? Anyone do it this way?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 03:19:54 pm »
My nephew had a seizure disorder when he was less than 2 years old.  He had several MRIs with sedation because he was so young.  It was a non-issue.

He had surgery at 21 months old to remove most of the left side of his brain, but he's doing fine now.  I figure that if he can deal with that, I can deal with whatever comes my way. :)

He's now going to be a junior in high school. :)

I'm sure you'll be fine.  If they can sedate your for the GK procedure, I'm sure it won't be a problem since the only issue with the GK process for the patient is having to wear the headframe and be still (and the headframe is part of what keeps you still.)
If you're sedated, you won't be aware of any of it, so I don't think you'll have a problem.
Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Gamma Knife with sedation? Anyone do it this way?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:07:38 pm »
Now I see the Gamma Knife and helmet thing and MRI first then the machine.  I told them I CANNOT do it and be awake.  They said okay and they would put me out.

Anyone else do it this way?  Really, I am totally afraid of my head going into the MRI machine.  I KNOW I can't do it.  They said okay, but of course, I am still scared.

When I had GK I was put to sleep for the headframe attachment.

If you are going to have the anesthesia for the headframe all they have to do is continue the IV drip during the MRI and the GK and you'll wake up after it's all done.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0