Author Topic: BAHA vs. Soundbite vs. CROS  (Read 4679 times)

erousseau5

BAHA vs. Soundbite vs. CROS
« on: July 31, 2013, 09:57:51 am »
Hi Everyone,

I am 19 years old, and I have been deaf since I was in 5th grade, so since I was 11. I had an appointment yesterday with a new doctor (I’ve had about 5 different ones since my hearing loss), and I was just made aware of options to help with my hearing loss. After asking for over 8 years of any types of options, I finally found a doctor who truly cared and would help me.

Anyways, there has never been a definitive cause of my hearing loss. The suspects are viruses, shingles, or a random attack on my body. I’m thinking that might be the reason for not hearing of these options? That, or I had bad doctors…

I’m going in for a consultation on August 13th, and we are going to discuss the BAHA vs. the Soundbite system with my audiologist. I know I am going to learn about it there, but I was hoping to get some more feedback about these two systems. I’m aware that this post is mostly about the BAHA, but I was wondering if anyone considered the Soundbite?

I’m very concerned about my hair…how much do they remove, can I wear my hair normally, etc. I love my hair, and I wear it down frequently. Also, I am concerned about cleaning. I am an athlete in college (Field hockey to be exact) and I work out a lot. That means sweating a good amount. Will these present a problem? What do I need to do to clean it? Is it irritating?

Sorry for all these questions…but this is the beginning of (hopefully) a new life with better hearing quality.

I do not have AN, however, I do suffer from SSD. I cannot find any other forum online with such comprehensive information about the options available, that I figured I would try here and as some questions. Thank you so much.

Thank you!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA vs. Soundbite vs. CROS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:22:58 pm »
Hi erousseau5 .....

I feel quite certain you have researched online about these 3 systems already so you know that both the BAHA and SoundBite systems are bone-conducted hearing systems, whereas the CROS is a wireless system.

With the BAHA, one has a permanent titanium post in the skull, to which the hearing device can be snapped on for use ..... nothing in either ear.  With the SoundBite, one wears a dental appliance on a back portion of the upper teeth and a behind the ear microphone unit.  With the CROS, one wears a transmitter in the deaf ear and a receiver in the hearing ear.

What it comes down to is which one seems like the better option in your situation.  I, personally, did not like the idea of something additional in my mouth or hearing aids in both ears so I chose the BAHA (I have an Oticon Medical Ponto Pro and love it!)

Virtually no hair was removed to implant the titanium abutment.  You can wear your hair perfectly normally.  Most people choose the closest color available to their natural hair color.  No one even knows I wear it unless I show them.  I am plagued with frequent hot flashes and major sweating of my head and it is not an issue.  Every other day, I brush around the abutment with a soft toothbrush that comes with it, which keeps any scalp scaling from accumulating.  Otherwise, normal shampooing keeps it clean.  I am totally unaware of the abutment, except when combing across it, which, of course, I am careful to go around it when doing so.   The hearing device part of it snaps off for showers, swimming, and sleeping.  Otherwise, I snap it on after my shower in the morning and forget about it until getting ready for bed at night.

You might need to remove the hearing device for playing field hockey, if there is a chance your head could get bumped and knock it off.  An AN friend of mine designed a safety chain that hooks on to the abutment, which might be an option for that.

PM me if you would like any additional information.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nftwoed

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 05:38:52 pm »
Hi
   I performed a discussion thread search from the upper right corner of the forum "Home" and found 74 posts relating to Soundbite: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?action=search2 There are 3 pages.
   Re, these devices; One might remember all are not candidates for bone conduction devices so must use air conduction devices as Cros or 'Bi-Cros'.
   'Transear' is very good for the few who have expert fitters. Those Auds must be patient enough to hand sand the half shell so a perfect fit to the ear's concha results..

Trisha

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 11:45:57 pm »
Hi erousseau5 .....,  Are you deaf in both ears or SSD,  I was not sure...  I have SSD and have been also like you to a couple of doctors.  I was also offered the three you are talking about. 
I have done a trail of the BAHA and also the Soundbite.   They both work well for me.  I have been waiting for insurance approval now for over a year for the Soundbite.  I bring this up because depending on your insurance, they may or may not cover the Soundbite.  It is new only 3 years old.  Also you do wear the bte in your mouth on your back molar.
I wish you luck with your decision.  I am giving it one more month and then going to have a BAHA done. 
Another thing to think about is that with the SB,  you have to replace the Bte part every 3-5 years at a cost of another $2500, because you can not change the batteries.    With the BAHA you just change the battery.    Just things to think about for you.  Trisha