Author Topic: New Symtoms?  (Read 3801 times)

D4A9N

New Symtoms?
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:27:34 am »
Let me first give a little background info. I was first diagnosed with an AN in 1986. Since I was only 21, the Dr. tried to save the hearing in my ear by shaving off the tumor. In 1997, the tumor reappeared and this time a new Dr. removed the hearing nerve. They said that it did no appear to be on any of the other nerves in the canal.

I've not had the best balance when standing still for some time, back to 2006 is the earliest I can remember. I kind of sway a little if I'm not holding on to anything. Here recently I've been having a few episodes of my head feeling like it's spinning or lite headed while sitting down. I've also had issues of feeling out of balance while getting up from a sitting position. Sometimes the walking on a small object on the floor will get me of balance. I put it off to getting older, but after a conversation with a co-worker it reminded me of my AN from the past. Test are expensive and I don't want to get my family all worked up over nothing.

What are the signs of an AN? Does it move quickly? With my hearing nerve it seemed to just appear with no earlier signs. Is this just Old Age? I mean, I am almost 50.

Derek

Re: New Symtoms?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:41:26 am »
Hi there...

Having been diagnosed some 27 years ago and with two treatment interventions in 1986 and 1997 you should be aware that the most common symptoms are diminished hearing on the affected side and balance problems. With your medical history I would have expected that you have had periodic MRI scans over the ensuing years to check for regrowth? I am not medically qualified but I doubt that the symptoms you describe are age related at only 49!!

I would recommend a consultation with your GP in the first instance to ascertain if your symptoms are connected to a condition that may not be AN related but ultimately an MRI scan with contrast is the only definitive method of establishing whether or not you have an acoustic neuroma.

Best Wishes

Derek

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:19:16 pm by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

D4A9N

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:50:27 am »
I had scans for 5 years after the final surgery. They said that I no longer needed them after that.
Thanks for your advise.

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:18:26 pm »
I would definately call your doc and have an exam, it may just be unwanted side effects from damaging the nerve but it may be something totally unrelated.  I would think you should be having follow up MRI's every few years anyway to follow your recovery.  Good luck!
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

D4A9N

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:09:55 pm »
I had an appointment with the ENT doctor last week. He found that I have some nystagmus in my left eye. Not sure if this is new or old. I have had some double vision of sorts when wearing my glasses. Tomorrow I go in for an MRI. I'm quite worried that with the balance issues and now the nystagmus that I have a new growth. Or worst case scenario MS, which as some of the same symptoms.

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:44 am »
I am sending good thoughts your way, so scary lying in the MRI wondering what it shows, hang in there !
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK