Author Topic: Re-growth after Middle Fossa Surgery?  (Read 6573 times)

loose screws (tightened)

Re-growth after Middle Fossa Surgery?
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:25:11 pm »
Hello everyone.
I have not been on the forum for quite a while.
As the title says, I may have regrowth so my ENT is sending me to HEI for further testing. I have read that the retrosigmoid approach has a 5 to 10% regrowth rate but I have never read of a reoccurring AN after a middle fossa approach.
The reviewing doctor said " the 4th and 5th slice of the MRI with contrast shows what could be a blood vessel but an acoustic neuroma couldn't be ruled out.
So, has anyone been diagnosed or heard of a reoccurring AN after the middle fossa?
Thanks for any help.
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

Trippy

Re: Re-growth after Middle Fossa Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:28:32 pm »
Don't they cut balance nerve that the tumor grows from?  I hope it's nothing.

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:37:44 am »
Don't they cut balance nerve that the tumor grows from?  I hope it's nothing.

As far as I remember (4 years ago) the  Doc's said they were sure they got it all. So I was shocked when my ENT recommended that I go back to the HEI for further testing.
Scar tissue? Blood vessel? I hope that's what it turns out to be.
I still have yet to read about a reoccurring tumor after the middle fossa surgery.
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 02:10:44 pm »
Mike! Long time no see dude!! Man, I sure hope that this isn't a regrowth.  I know I haven't heard of a regrowth before.  I know sometimes it may regrow if they leave a bit behind because it's entwined in facial nerves, but unless that happened with you, this shouldn't be the case.  Let us know how it goes! Other than that, how's it been?  Can't believe we are coming up on our fourth year Anniversary!!  Take care and let us know how it goes!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Sandrawoody

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:19:29 pm »
Just reading your post, l had an surgery March 2010,  retrosigmoid .
Surgery went extremely well, no facial nerve issues, still have some functional hearing in the affected ear. At the time they believed they removed everything they could identify. Recent MRI has shown the tumor has began to grow again .
Surgeon tells me that this can occur in a small percentage of cases, options are for further surgery to try and remove all of it second time round, or to explore radiotherapy options.
I am yet to fully explore both options. Having gone through the surgery, with all its potential complications, you wonder if trying it again, is it worth the risk if there are no guarantees of success the next time .

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 07:59:09 pm »
Well well.....HELLO Mike!!
Hate to find you here under these circumstances after 4 Years!   CRAZY!

BUT, I am curious what YOU have found out?    I too had the Middle Fossa and right now going through the concern of regrowth.   Along with some other inner ear issues.    UGH   I HOPE to hear from my dr more tomorrow!

I haven't came to the forum as much because I tend to follow Facebook groups a bit more and am friends with most of the people I met here over the years.

Last year was a concern of my tumor growing back (after being fully removed) but dr didn't want to jump to conclusions.   SO we were gonna wait 2 years for MRI.   THEN, I started having symptoms of facial numbness and deep stabbing inner ear pain.     Dr decided to have me do another MRI about 6 weeks ago.   He said it 'looks' like 8mm but concerned of some calcification of the inner ear too so wants to review my MRI stuff with a different radiologist and his team.   NO word because the holidays they were gone or busy.

Take care!!
Denise S (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 07:20:15 pm »
I have read that the retrosigmoid approach has a 5 to 10% regrowth rate but I have never read of a reoccurring AN after a middle fossa approach.

I had retrosig and have never heard this statistic.  My docs removed the "entire" tumor and I was told my chances of regrowth are 1-2%.

That said, I don't think the approach has any relevance when it comes to regrowth.  I've always heard that any time even one cell is left behind regrowth can occur.  And although docs will tell patients that their "entire" tumor has been removed that is no guarantee.  Docs say this when they believe (in good faith) that the tumor is completely gone; they can't see every single cell.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 01:20:43 am »
Just as I remembered from the first time.  This is a great support group. Thank you all very much for your replies.

I did go to the house and saw Dr.Slattery. Unfortunately my ENT and the House did not manage to get the MRI and reports sent. We discussed getting him that information so he and the radiologist could review the MRI. Dr Slattery said he would call if anything looked suspicious. That was the week before Christmas and I haven't heard anything. I looked at the new MRI along with the last 2 and I did notice where the radiologist had drawn an arrow to the area in question.
So thats where things are for now.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

You guys and gals are great!
Thanks.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 08:54:26 pm »
Hi Mike,

So NO symptoms?

I have now been diagnosed with "Labyrinthitis" until further testing is done......which is taking FOREVER to get scheduled :-(    It has limited me GREATLY for the past 10 days.   

Doctor & neuro radiologist said the 8mm 'growth' on my IAC looks just like scar tissue.
Honestly.......this Labyrinthis crap has been WAY WAY worse than Any symptoms I had from my tumor, ugh!

No News is Good News they say ;)
And YES......I HAVE heard of regrowth after Middle Fossa before!   Just never know if a microscopic little piece got left behind and flares up!  :-(
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:10:30 pm »
Mike,

Its also been quite a while for me.  You are one of the people that I have recently was thinking about!

Denise is right, I remember Dr. Brackmann discussing it with me.  I hope everything comes back normal, please let us know.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 10:57:54 pm »
Dennis, nice to hear from you. Hope everything is going good for you. I've thought about you recently also. Looking back, you were the luckiest one out all of us from that time (from Cheryl from NY to Tamster and Jay, all the magic scarf holders). Except for the shiner you came out great. How's your hearing?

Denice, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what Labyrinthitis is but it doesn't sound good. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I do hope everything turns out OK for you.

I talked to Dr. Slattery from the House and he confirmed that there is something there. He said it maybe scar tissue but he couldn't be sure for now. So, the next step is a MRI in 6 months to see if anything changes.

It;s really nice hearing from all of you.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 01:12:10 pm »
Hey Mike!! So hopefully that's all it is, just scar tissue.  Take care and try not to stress about this too much! Let us know how it goes!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 09:16:14 pm »
Mike - I was very lucky and had a fantastic outcome.  My temple still swells up between my eye and hairline every month or two, especially if I sleep on that side.  Hearing is OK.  I haven't gone for another test, but if I had to guess I would say I retained 60-65% of my hearing.  The ringing is louder than ever and I struggle to hear a discussion in a noisy environment, but it is a very small price to pay.

Please let us know what you learn from the MRI.  I will keep my fingers crossed and expect to get some good news from you!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."