Author Topic: constant imbalance  (Read 4177 times)

eboehme311

constant imbalance
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:02:42 am »
I continue to struggle w/contant imbalance. Diagnosed w/benign positional vertigo. Have had epley maneuvers and physical therapy. For the past year my balance problems have increased significantly. I cannot look up or down. I feel like I am constantly bobbing around. Doctor had prescribed years ago .5 mg of klonopin. Now he has me on 5 mg of lexapro which has nothing to do w/my balance. Non-balance is not caused by anxiety or depression. Have had MRI and nothing showed up. I am unable to work. Also when riding in a vehicle the vibration of the movement stirs up the imbalance more. I actually have to get out, stand upright for a short period of time then walk. I really feel like a drunk trying to walk. Never had any surgery and doctor does not seem to be of any help. Any ideas?

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: constant imbalance
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:22:00 pm »
eboehme311

You say you had physical therapy.  Have you had vestibular therapy for your balance issues.  If not give it a try it certainly helped me.

TJ

jsanders1379

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:46:00 am »
I agree on the vestibular therapy- my ENT insisted that I go to a PT who is also certified in neurology ( they will have "NCS" after their PT or DPT title). Had to drive an extra 30 miles, but think it was worth it
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:21:50 pm »
Here is my experience. Prior to my surgery my vertigo was minor and I could go several days without any vertigo. During the next two years it became more frequent. The vertigo got to the point that I could not keep food in my stomach. I was even throwing up water, just trying to stay hydrated. I started falling.

My doctor started me on Zofran. Vertigo was a thing of the past. Zofran is outrageously expensive around $90.00 per tablet, but there is a generic. It is generally used on chemo patients for their vertigo. Talk to your doctor about this drug. It may or may not be the right avenue for you, but it was the correct drug for me.

James

eboehme311

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:10:06 am »
I am pretty sure the doctor i went to has run the gamut of what he is able to do. when i went to PT they had me do head movements up and down while focusing on a spot on the wall. also had me do head movements back and forth. not only was i to do this in PT but at work and and at home.

My last visit w/the doctor who is an otologist (sp) not just an ENT, told me that my brain was misfiring and that was the cause of my problems. today is a bad day and it started out w/the imbalance. if he knows what the problem is does he not know if there is a solution. the last answer i got from his was that he was doing stuff to make me comfortable. sorry bandaids just don't cut it for me. if there is no solution say so. at least then i wont keep looking for answers that are not there.  this may sound a little off the beaten path but has anyone tried hypnotism to see if there is a remedy that way? i am open to suggestions.

i have tried acupuncture too and that did not work.

also doctor stated that surgery was not an option due to the smallness of the crystals but  the crystals are not the issue.  each day continues to be a struggle and i refuse to give up.

TJ what is vestibular therapy?

thanks.

SDTom

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:57:09 pm »
You may want to contact Dr Edwards in Bemidji MN. You may not be able to see him directly but he may be able to recommend someone to you. He is an eye dr. But he deals with balance problems. You can PM me and talk to me or my wife about this as it's complicated.

Tom
June 2011 3.8 cm tumor debulked.
July 2011 Hydrocephalus, Meningitis.
August 2011 shunt installed.
Sept 2011 28 rounds of radiation.
Things kept getting worse
March 2012 tumor removal at Mayo clinic

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 11:09:33 am »
My dad, who never had an AN, was diagnosed w/benign positional vertigo.  His doctor prescribed meclizine and it worked well for him.

I don't know how physical therapy differs from vestibular exercises, but if you are interested in vestibular exercises I have the ones my neurotologist gave me in a Word document.  If you want them, email me and I'll send them to you.  My email address is in my profile.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 07:19:11 pm »
Vestibular therapy is a process in which they retrain you brain to stop excepting the bad information that is being sent by the part the system that is misfiring.  Basically it bypasses the part of your balance system that causes you to feel like you are off balance.  I went to 15 sessions and have no more balance issues at all.

They move your head, make you walk forward and backward.  Stand on balance eyes open they shut.  At first very difficult but as session went on, there was a remarkable difference.

Hope this helps, but you can ask a professional and they probably will give a much better difiniton.

TJ

DeeDeeR

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »
I have been is vestibular therapy for approx. 3 weeks and my dizziness has improved tremendously.  My balance is a little worse, my therapist timed my walking at day one and on my 3 week appt. and I am walking considerably faster which is causing me to wobble a little more.    The docs say a "regular" PT doesn't know the correct exercises for this, a vestibular PT is a must.  Good luck!