Author Topic: Sorry to be a pest, another question!  (Read 6135 times)

butterflyhugzs

Sorry to be a pest, another question!
« on: September 10, 2006, 09:22:54 am »
Hi everyone and thanks again for all your advice and input,  I do take on board all that you have said because after all you know what your talking about first hand.
My question is has anyone here had an MRI without contrast which has come up normal, then gone on to have an MRI with Contrast which has shown up an AN?
I would really appreciate if anyone felt they could share their experience.
Also, how long did your MRI scan last?
Thanks again
Abbie

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Sorry to be a pest, another question!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 10:15:29 am »
Hello Pest Abbie ;)

My MRI's have always been with contrast... it truly is the only way to "see" the full picture.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tony

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 10:47:48 am »
Sometimes they do them both at the same time adding the contrast halfway
through - going rate is 25-30mins to complete - but it does depend on the machine
Best regards
Tony

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 12:47:53 pm »
I had an MRI without contrast then after about 15 mins they injected the contrast. I saw the films, w/o contrast there was nothing there.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 02:57:27 pm »
Without the contrast, an MRI for someone with our condition would be a waste of time and money. My sessions run about 45 minutes. They inject the contrast halfway through. My 4th session is scheduled for early November.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 03:55:17 pm »
Hi Abbie,

My MRI's were always done with contrast. Without contrast my AN was undectable (it was pretty small anyway), then after they injected the contrast it was noticable. My MRI's usually lasted about 45 mins.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Derek

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 04:50:40 pm »
Hi again Abbie...

My last 4 x  MRI scans in the UK have each taken approx 30 mins with contrast added midway. I am presuming that you had your scan at a NHS hospital?

I am wondering exactly who has authorised your scan as I find it difficult to accept that a neurosurgeon would base his 'negative' diagnosis of an AN on the result of a 7 minute MRI scan without contrast having been introduced.

Perhaps a consultation with your GP outlining your concerns could result in another MRI scan with contrast being undertaken?

You must not accept the current situation....if necessary, beg or borrow the £350 to have the MRI scan carried out privately...only then will you have the defintive result of whether or not you have an AN.

Very best of luck.

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 06:39:52 am »
Hi,
My first MRI was forty-five minutes long and it did show several "somethings".  After three radiologists looked at it I was called in a couple of days later for a contrast which lasted forty-five minutes.  My second set done after the surgery lasted thirty minutes each and again I had both (my insurance must be a glutten for punishment).  I have now had a total of twelve MRI's of head and neck, lumbar and C-spine and they have all been thirty to forty-five minutes and with and without contrast.  If you have a choice, most of us don't, go for the contrast because it does show more.  Just my two cents.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

butterflyhugzs

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 01:49:49 pm »
Hi Derek
It was a portable MRI machine outside the hospital, the ENT requested it due to one sided tinnitus and slight hearing loss dizziness, but they did not even offer a follow up appointment to discuss my results they discharged me before my results came in.
Thanks again
Abbie
Hi again Abbie...

My last 4 x  MRI scans in the UK have each taken approx 30 mins with contrast added midway. I am presuming that you had your scan at a NHS hospital?

I am wondering exactly who has authorised your scan as I find it difficult to accept that a neurosurgeon would base his 'negative' diagnosis of an AN on the result of a 7 minute MRI scan without contrast having been introduced.

Perhaps a consultation with your GP outlining your concerns could result in another MRI scan with contrast being undertaken?

You must not accept the current situation....if necessary, beg or borrow the £350 to have the MRI scan carried out privately...only then will you have the defintive result of whether or not you have an AN.

Very best of luck.

Derek

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 02:24:47 pm »
Hi Abbie,

As I've learned to be diligent in my own "patient care", suggestion would be to insist on an MRI with and without contrast (as everyone noted, they usually start out without the constrast, then approx 1/2 way through, they inject... you feel nothing....).  My head MRI's have lasted approx 45 min to 1 hr.  With earplugs in, I usually fall asleep! :)

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 07:33:18 pm »
yep sounds about right...45 mins..nice nap  ;D...lousy noise :(  Mine was with and without and even as large as my tumor was it was still hard to detect without so def I vote for with!