Author Topic: Changing doctor's from initial surgical MD to new?  (Read 3318 times)

Dana D

Changing doctor's from initial surgical MD to new?
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:35:39 pm »
Hi Everyone, I'm new to using this so I apologize if my posts are a bit naive....Anyway, just to give some history about me I had an acoustic neuroma removed June 23, 2004 via behind the ear (I forget what that's called) and I lost my hearing, in addition to having several other post-op complications.  My most recent issue was that I was having pain at the surgical site after almost 10 years which I was concerned about.  I was able to get in to see the physician who did my surgery within a short amount of time, and they wanted me to have an MRI prior to my appt.  Long story short - I had an MRI at a facility that was different from where I'd had my previous MRI's because with my insurance it was going to be more than twice as much if I had it at the original place.  Well this caused an issue, my doctor basically yelled at me and said "I can't compare this (MRI) to your previous ones because it was done with a different method"-I had no idea this would be the case and when I talked to the office person who coordinates the MRI's and insurance she did not mention this would be a problem.  I felt angry, scared and confused, my doctor said I don't see any new growth but I can't really tell you anymore than that and it was in a very condescending matter like I was a real pain in the a**.  He also said that the person who helped me coordinate the MRI told me that it had to be at the original place where I had the MRI-which she didn't.  It made me seem like I was just being ignorant or something.  It has been a few months now and I've calmed down a bit, but I was very upset at the time.  I've considered switching Dr.'s but I don't know if that's the answer.  Anyone have some good advice or suggestions?

Thank you.  I feel up in the air with this and comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Changing doctor's from initial surgical MD to new?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:01:06 am »
Your doctor sounds like a real ahole. Maybe he has an ownership interest in the MRI place.

Personally, I would get myself another neurosurgeon in a heartbeat and take all my MRI CDs (make sure you have your own CD for yourself and extras for others), reports, and history to him/her for review.

By the way, you should have a written report from the radiologist describing the condition and size of the tumor as well as any other conditions picked up by the MRI.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 02:42:43 pm »
Dear Dana,

I tend to concur with Jack. You have to feel comfortable with your doctor whoever it is......This is the site to get recommendations from. Good luck, IMO, I would go to a major hospital in a metropolitan area then do a Neurosurgeon search. You have to comfortable with whom you have selected. That is job #1.

Mike

P.S. get copies of your MRI disks and send them out (always keeping a copy for yourself) there are several reputable docs who will be glad to consult for free (provided you send a cover letter. Let us know how you made out.
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 04:48:20 pm »
  I've considered switching Dr.'s but I don't know if that's the answer.  Anyone have some good advice or suggestions?

Your doctor is insensitive and his reaction to your MRI scan results were asinine.  Why would you want to return to this condescending physician that treated you as a nuisance?  That is insulting and would not appear to inspire any desire to go back for more of that kind of treatment.   

My suggestion is to seek out another doctor that actually cares about his/her patient and doesn't consider that berating them over an MRI scan is perfectly acceptable behavior.  It is not.  Your pain may or may not have any relation to your decade-old AN surgery but this doctor seems to be better suited to embarrassing you than helping you.  You deserve better.  Find another doctor.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:46:21 pm »
How can you have respect for a doctor that doesn't act respectful to you!! Switch doctors!

v357139

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 08:03:11 pm »
I would also switch.  Fyi, Dr Slattery and Schwartz at House are the most respectful of any doctors I met, and I saw quite a few.  You might be able to send your MRI and at least get a phone consult.  That is the process for before surgery, but might work for your case also.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!