Author Topic: 5 weeks post-op  (Read 2064 times)

clere

5 weeks post-op
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:30:39 pm »
I started to give a brief background of my AN journey and discovered I was writing a book so here is the short version:

I had surgery at HEI with Slattery and Schwartz on Jan 19.  6mm AN on left side, trans lab, the AN was in the cochlea so they removed that along with a few other things and sewed the ear canal shut.  Spent first night in ICU, next morning drs. reported everything went well, removed the whole tumor and no facial or other issues.  Spent one night out of ICU and developed a CSF leak.  Ended up back in ICU, did a lumbar tap to drain the fluid, and spent another 6 days in ICU flat on my back.  It was miserable, however it took care of the problem. Released from the hospital after 10 days, spent 3 more days at Seton Hall and then flew back to Mn. 
Since I have been home things have gone well, back to a fairly normal home routine, scheduled to go back to work in 2 weeks. 
I spent a lot of time on this website during the decision making process and really want to say "Thank you" to everyone who gave encouraging advice.  And to those who are just starting this journey; take your time, do your research, consider all your options and try to stay positive!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 5 weeks post-op
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 04:13:08 pm »
Hi, Clere ~

Congratulations on your successful surgery and recovery!  Thanks for posting the outcome.  It's appreciated.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:28:30 pm »
Congratulations and on to continued recovery!

TexasSprinter

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 09:20:28 am »
Sorry to hear about the CSF leak, but it sounds like it was just a bump on your successful road to recovery.