Author Topic: New guy here, possible AN, waiting on MRI.  (Read 2392 times)

DRAG-ULA

New guy here, possible AN, waiting on MRI.
« on: February 19, 2016, 10:40:35 am »
Hey everyone, this is a great website. I've been reading threads on here for a couple weeks. I'm not really freaking out about the possible AN, I do have some questions though, if this isn't the correct forum, please let me know. Here's a little background.
Fall 2011 lost hearing in left side, started getting vertigo, constant tinnitus. Family Dr put me on a steroid, no help. He kept saying it was my allergies/ sinus.  Went to a local ENT, I didn't have insurance at the time, he did some hearing tests, said I have nerve damage in my left ear.  Treated me for meniere's with a water pill, the vertigo completely stopped for 3 years. Fall 2014, I had two bad vertigo attacks, went back to same ENT, put me on a steroid. Cleared up for the most part.
Sept 2015 I started having dizzy spells, loss of balance, vertigo, and it's been getting worse in frequency ever since. I now have insurance, had some balance function, ABR, & e-cog tests done. My ABR is extremely slow, so the Dr ordered the MRI. I'm just curious as to why the 3 year remission. I have occasional full feeling in my left ear, constant tinnitus, & only 36% word recognition. I guess I'm just looking for some input, thoughts, etc. I can eat what I want, sodium doesn't seem to affect the vertigo attacks, so I'm not sure it's meniere's. So now I'm just waiting to get the MRI at the end of Feb. Thanks for reading,

John

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: New guy here, possible AN, waiting on MRI.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 01:45:53 pm »
Hi John and welcome to this forum .....

Although your symptoms are much the same as many AN patients, the MRI with contrast, is the best way to have a definitive answer.  In the mean time, make sure your MRI has been ordered with contrast because small ANs can be missed if not with contrast.

As for the three year "remission," ANs do not always grow in a steady predictable pattern.  Sometimes they remain dormant for a period of time before starting to grow again.  Sometimes they grow slowly for awhile and then have a growth spurt.  Only the MRIs over time can determine what the path in each unique case has been.

If it is not an AN, perhaps other possible diagnoses can follow a similar irregular pattern.  I do not know.

Many thoughts and prayers and let us know what you find out on the MRI.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

DRAG-ULA

Re: New guy here, possible AN, waiting on MRI.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 11:14:27 am »
Yes, the MRI is with contrast. The Dr I'm seeing now really seems to know his stuff. I'm really happy with him.