Author Topic: 2 years on  (Read 142 times)

pudding

2 years on
« on: June 24, 2024, 03:56:44 am »
Hi I really need some help my husband had brain surgery for a acoustic neuroma a couple of years ago and it has been a really rough 2years he had to change jobs as he could no longer do his original job as the operation left him with balance issues and no control of his left hand. He hates the job he does now and is moody and he has outbursts. He has now decided to sell the house and wants to go separate ways. I know he has a lot of anger in him and he needs help but won’t admit it so the situation right now is unbearable I don’t know what to do I have pleaded with him to get help to talk to someone but he won’t, and I know the dr won’t talk to me about him so I don’t know what to do. He can be really nasty and is very paranoid but he thinks I am just making it up I really need to do something but I don’t know what and I can’t go on like this any longer any help appreciated thanks. Also I am in the uk.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 04:26:17 am by pudding »

donjehle

Re: 2 years on
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 06:38:18 pm »
Hi pudding!  Thank you for posting on the ANA Forums!

Just having the diagnosis of acoustic neuroma is enough for many, many men and women to have very serious emotional issues.  There are many people who have posted on these boards who have shared how they needed to seek professional counseling to help them through the challenges, not only of the diagnosis, but also of the treatment and its after effects.  As you know, pudding, there are tremendous benefits to having help from a professional to guide a person through the difficult journey of having an acoustic neuroma and sometimes quite serious results.

The problem is that you, as his wife, may not be the person who can convince him to seek professional care.  The more you push him to do it, the more he may resist.  The greatest thing you can do is to listen to his frustrations and show him love and support.  That is not easy to do when he is nasty to you.  You yourself might benefit from seeking counseling to help you deal with this situation because what you are dealing with as a spouse is very challenging.

What I hope would happen is that someone who is close to him (like a very good friend) would encourage him to seek emotional care and that seeking such care is not a failure as a man, but is the smartest thing to do when a person faces the difficulties of an acoustic neuroma and its after effects.

Best wishes for both you and your husband!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.