Author Topic: Has anyone experienced improved hearing even though you have single sided deafne  (Read 312 times)

unicorngirl1207

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
I have single sided deafness in my left ear after surgery, but i swear my overall hearing improved. I had severe tinnitus and a constant swooshing sound, like listening to waves in a seashell, in my left ear. But after the surgery that is gone. Im completely deaf on that side, but i swear my hearing is better. I do have the CROS hearing aid but I think it makes my hearing worse. It feels like it just amplifies the background noise and drowns out voices. Anyone else experiencing this?

Mark F.

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 80
I am also single side deaf after surgery, my hearing seems to have improved in loud environments.  I used to have more trouble understanding people in a busy restaurant, it's still not great but I did not give that it is better.  I too had tinnitus before surgery but not after.   I was wondering about the cros hearing aid.  My ENT told me he could fit me for one, but he said I'll be honest with you, most people hate them.  My hearing in my good ear is very good, and he said I wasn't missing much anyway.  It's been almost a year and a half for me since surgery and I really don't mind the single side deafness.  Occasionally it gets annoying figuring out what direction sound is coming from, but for the most part I have just adapted to it.

chrisdomask

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
I chose not to have surgery as I was counselled that there was no guarantee it would improve my hearing. I did have Gamma Knife radiation treatment. I’m deaf in my left ear, 100% hearing in my right ear. My frustration is that I’ve had this for 10 years and my husband often acts like my disability is an inconvenience to him. Friends and acquaintances are very accommodating making sure they are on my right side. I use Phonak Cros hearing aids but not usually at home. Have you had issues with close family members being less than accommodating to your disability? Thank you for your support.

Mark F.

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 80
That should have said "did notice". I really hate spell check sometimes.  Lol.

donjehle

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 543
I thought my hearing had improved.  But when an audiologist checked it out, my hearing results were the same.  I don't know why my hearing seemed better.  But, alas, it isn't.  Hopefully yours actually is better.
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.