Author Topic: Chris going back to work  (Read 5773 times)

chrissmom

Chris going back to work
« on: December 11, 2006, 06:22:35 pm »
Hi all,
I've been so busy with all those 7th graders and I haven't been around lately.  I noticed Boppie and Matti got Transear and Batty is working on one.  My news is that Chris is going back to work.  It will be part-time.  He's there now and of course I'm worried about him.  He has been so strong and determined all the way thru this ordeal.  He is still taking PT and OT for 4 hours a week.  At night, he works out on my treadmill.  He is determined to be able to run.  He is getting stronger and stronger.  I have so much to be thankful for now and I'm so grateful to all of you for being a pillar of support for him.  You gave him the hope and insight needed to help mend the broken wings and let him fly.  I hope this forum stays together.

Dfcman

Re: Chris going back to work
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 12:57:28 am »
thanks Bruce...you've said some wonderful things.  I think you're an awesome guy too, and one of my favorite ppl online. 

But yeah, I went to work tonite.  I left a note that said "Grab ahold of something, Chris is back".  I didnt mean to be too glorified about myself but, I think it was a good thing for my colleauges to read.  We are like family there.  That is one thing that's kept me there for 6 years...Besides, I did infact kick ass tonite.  I got a lot accomplished tonite, just like I used to.  I am becoming more and more my normal self again, and I absolutely love it.

I must say that eventhough this AN was god-awful, I think its sort of a blessing in disguise.  I am so much more appreciative of things now and have so much more confidence in a great many things.  One of my worst nemesises was my self-esteem and I feel, for once, totally ambitious and confident in myself.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 05:25:44 am »
YEEEAAAHHH   CHRIS:

Glad to hear your 1st day back to work went off without a hitch !!!!!

Sounds like you fared alot better than me your 1st day back.

Know what you mean re: appreciating things more, nothing gets taken for granted,  life is good, it's what you make it.

Well, this ole girl's gonna be late for work if I don't get moving (ah, the fatigue thing, still can't shake it off ).

Take care, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

matti

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 02:56:59 pm »
Chris - I totally agree with you, as my AN journey has been a blessing in disguise as well.  With my age and experience I thought I had life all figured out, but it wasn't unitl going through this that I finally "got it"!

I am so proud of you and your mom is pretty awesome too ;D 

Keep on kickin ass!!!!

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 03:41:42 pm »
Chris,
  Excellent.  I know returning to work is a big item.  You should be proud that you've worked hard, and it's paying off.  I'm guessing that you feel a bit fatiqued, after the first day back at work.  Know that with more time, your stamina will improve. You go guy.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:39:54 pm »
Chris, Unbelievable, ack to work already. PLEASE take it slow and don't over do it. Take Care of yourself

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 09:02:40 pm »
Congratulations on going back to work, Chris.  You are going back much faster than I would have imagined.   I was reading and think about you this summer.  What a challenging summer you had!  Going back to work does help to feel more "normal" again.  (I'm rethinking what normal is these days.)  You sound like you like to challenge yourself.  Must be why you are making such a quick recovery.  Have fun at work.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 09:13:18 am »
Ps.  Hey Chris did you see what matti said?  She said the word a$$  LOL  Congrats on a successful day back. I'm still looking to find my way back.  Sounds like you're doing good!  Keep it up maybe one day I'll catch up to you?  LOL :P

chelsmom

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 09:20:34 am »
Hey Chris

Great news.  Hopefully your energy level will be 100% before too long and you'll also be back at school finishing your degree.

Michelle

tryston

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 01:18:20 pm »
Chris and Chrismom, I kind of can't believe what I'm reading here! It is such inspiring news! Congratulations! You are truly amazing!
37 yrs old
8 - 10mm AN in left IAC removed 9/12/06
Middle Fossa
Drs. Brackmann & Hitselberger, HEC

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 02:05:55 pm »
I am SO thrilled to hear this news! OMG! What a fabulous holiday gift to you all. Please give Chris my best and know that I'm cheering you all on!

GREAT JOB CHRIS!  So dang proud of you!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

hollyjo

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 08:29:16 pm »
Good evening,

I have posted here once or twice since my diagnosis but lurk often.   :)  I just wanted to say kudos to you, Chris, even though I don't know you.  I had the same docs, Arriaga and Baghai, for my surgery three weeks ago.  I won't post about my experience here, except to say that I felt they did a great job, inasmuch as my "acoustic" neuroma turned out to be a facial schwannoma (surprise, surprise).  Your tumor was much larger than mine, although I don't know the exact size of mine (they told me but I forgot), and it gives me hope to hear that you are so "up and about."

Many prayers and wishes for your continued recovery.

Holly
Right side facial schwannoma, size unspecified
Mid fossa 11/06 (facial nerve severed; nerve graft at time of procedure)
Drs. Arriaga & Baghai
Migraine & vestibular issues, right side facial paralysis; some movement in lower part of face
Gold weight/lower lid resection - right eye: 11/10.

redgrl

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 09:34:45 pm »
I don't know you but congrats Chris. It always nice to here good outcomes. Take care of yourself anf don't over do it.  :)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Dfcman

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 02:25:30 am »
thanks a million.  You all have been a huge contribution to my recovery.  I'm very grateful to all of you, not to mention the fact that i'm glad to have met so many incredibly nice folks  who have been. or are in my shoes.  I guess every AN person reacts differently.  I should be grateful to be doing so well. I really have no complaints. My balance still isnt 100% but most all is. I hate being restricted, and HATE being told I cant do something.  I guess thats my motivation.

BTW  To tell you the truth, i'm really not all that fatigued....I'm doing all else that I used to.  The one guy said to me "i've come back with a vengence"...haha, so that is good.  I'm reallly excited and have had a lot of energy to do work.  Ambition to strive.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 07:45:18 pm »
i'm jealous!
i guess i need to work harder
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois