Author Topic: Stereotactic radiosurgery  (Read 3218 times)

Kara

Stereotactic radiosurgery
« on: July 17, 2005, 05:59:37 pm »
I would like to hear about people's experiences with stereortactic radiosurgery.  I had a 3 cm acoustic neuroma surgically removed two years ago.  A small piece of the tumor had to be left becuase it was stuck to my facial nerve.  My most recent MRI shows that the tumor is growing back.  I am scheduled for stereotactic radiosurgery this Tues at Duke to deal with this new growth.  I am anxious about the placing of the metal head brace.  The surgeon and radiation/oncologist made this sound fairly painful.  Does anyone have some experience they can share with me?  Thank you.

cookiesecond

Re: Stereotactic radiosurgery
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 06:52:10 pm »
Did you have your surgery at Duke? Who was your surgeon? I have surgery scheduled for August 2 . I hope all goes well for you this time.
Take care,
Lynn

Mark

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 09:07:44 pm »
Kara,

Please see my post from earlier today. If Duke only has a Gamma Knife requiring the head frame process, then I would suggest looking into facilities that have more advanced machines such as Cyberknife or Novalis which do not require the head frame. The Cyberknife support group site at www.cyberknifesupport.org has links that would help

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Gill UK

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 02:55:25 pm »
Hi.

I had GK treatment 5 yrs ago & had the helmet fitted. Anaesthetic ensured that there was no pain, only some marking afterwards where it had been secured, but really not an actual problem, it was the anticipation of it that was the worst part. Hope it goes well.

Gill UK

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 07:31:46 pm »
I am considering this treatment for an AN that has reappeared. I'm interested to know how you got on Kara. Any dizziness, nausea etc.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz