Author Topic: endoscopic surgery  (Read 3255 times)

SuzeAN

endoscopic surgery
« on: August 04, 2005, 10:44:59 am »
Hi was wondering if anyone has had endoscopic surgery for their AN and what that experience was like.
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

jamie

Re: endoscopic surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 11:47:31 am »
I was considering the endoscopic option for my neuroma (not accoustic, mine's on a lower cranial nerve) but when I researched it further I found that the reason everybody doesn't use that approach is because it's way too risky. If they accidentally cut a vessel you pretty much bleed to death before they can get your skull open enough to repair it. If it weren't so risky it would be alot easier and recovery is alot quicker, it just depends on what kind of chances you are willing to take. I am going the cyberknife route, because mine cannot be surgically removed witout sacrificing the nerves and I could have trouble swallowing and talking, so surgery is a last resort for me. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 11:50:25 am by jamie »
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

russ

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 11:52:18 am »
Hi
  Endoscopy at Skull Base Institute with Shahinian is at best experimental. Note, other large treating facilities have not endorsed nor adopted the procedure.
  I agree, it may be dangerous and post surg. complications are comparable to standard approaches, if not worse.
  My choice? I wouldn't... Unless one wants to be a guinea pig and buys their story and reports. The beginnings of the new dept. at Skull Base were questionable.
  Best wishes!!
  Russ

SuzeAN

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 08:56:46 pm »
Thanks for the input, I think I will take this approach off the list of possible solutions.....
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05