Author Topic: ANA Forum Humour Hall of Fame!  (Read 6105 times)

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
Re: ANA Forum Humour Hall of Fame!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 06:36:08 pm »
Kristin: I loved the Story about mommy's tick tac and then tumor. But then I love 5 year olds- they are so cute! And don't you worry about being an outsider- I worry sometimes that the Stanford graduates dominate the threads too much! (But then again, all of us AN'ers share a unique experience) where else can you go to talk about stupid stuff that happened with your tumor!

And Jill Marie: I think the med community needs to lighten up. I guess they are worried that we will sue, hmmm maybe we should bring a class action lawsuit for LACK of HUMOR...

Okay all-take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

tony

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 10:55:37 pm »
New one for you
I was in pre-OP, on the trolley, 30mins away from the shunt OP
Nurses and orderlies wizzing around like its rush hour
- then they all stopped....silence..and no movement...?
Whats wrong ? I ask
"The neuro surgeon is not back from lunch yet" so no go
My repy:
"Nah dont worry about that - we will make a start now
he can always catch up later, if he thinks its important"
(they didnt like me much in that hospital....wonder why...)
Best Regards
Tony

Jill Marie

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 01:11:13 am »
If it weren't for Humor where would we be?

Lorenzo, Thanks for being there for me, it's hard for most people I talk to to understand what I've gone through, let alone understanding the humor in it, as that's what got me through it.   As for removing the fat, my husband and I started working out at the gym a couple of years before I got the tumor, I weighed about 160 and got down to 130 just before I broke my leg (tri-lateral break, ankle on both sides & leg in 5 pieces) & to top it off a Facial Nerve Tumor surgery a month later.  I knew I would be laid up for a while so I was hoping the doctor would take the rest of my fat so I would have less to loose once I got on my feet again. 

Annie, I agree we should bring a lawsuit against the doctor's as they should know by now that "Laughter IS the best Medicine" and if they haven't figured it out by now then they shouldn't be in the business.  Bedside manner and keeping the patients spirits up does more for their recovery than they realize, they shouldn't leave it all up to the nurses. I think they are jealous of just how much Humor can do for our us, they go to school for years to learn how to heal our bodies but Humor is the one that gets to heal our soul.

Tony, I agree with not letting the absence of the doctor slow things down.  I didn't have a problem when I had my Facial Nerve Surgery but I did when I had my first son.  The doctor told my husband that if I didn't deliver the baby in the next 10 minutes so that he could get back to his office patients he would have to use the forceps on the baby.  My husband told him that I said he could go on back to the office as I didn't need him any longer. 

The following don't all apply to this forum but they do to the subject at hand:  THEY MAKE ME LAUGH!

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

For Insurance Companies:  We spare no expense to save a dollar!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting, Holy ****, What a ride!! 

All we can do is do the best with the cards we are dealt, I choose to go to the grave totally worn out not by a tumor but by what I DID INSPITE OF THE TUMOR! 

Jill Marie ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:44:58 am by Jill Marie »
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Lorenzo

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 01:52:16 am »
Jill Marie,

Great outlook on life and all this!  Humour is THE one most important thing we all need. I certainly would be lost without people with a sense of humour! I'd hate to think that I'd be so dominated by this AN that I wouldn't be able to have a laugh at it's expense! Just another way to beat it, right?

Docs should realise that too, some do, most don't. But, it's kind of different for them, they can't really display that much humour about somebody else's illnes, can they?

Anyway, thanks for the continued laughs!  :D

Ciao, Lorenzo

Jill Marie

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 11:39:43 pm »
Lorenzo,

I know it must be hard for the doctors to see patients all day long and to often know that they can't help them or help them as much as they would like or the way we want them to help us.  My husband drives a Med Van (takes patients to rehab, etc.)  and I can tell from just watching him and listening to him that it's hard to be around people all day long that have health issues.  I think the doctors need the Humor as much as we do.  Granted I don't want a doctor to make light of my problems but I do want them to join me when I make light of them.  The doctor that got short with me when I said I wouldn's schedule my surgery on Wedesday because it was golf day will never see me again.  However Dr. Mangham that did my Facial Tumor surgery actually laughed when I told him to take all the fat I had, that's when I relaxed a bit.  One of my eye doctors asked if my eye watered at all, I told him only when I choked or exercised enough to sweat.  I then said I had no desire to do either on a regular basis just so my eye would water, he laughed and said he was glad I said what he was thinking so he wasn't out of line.   

Take Care, Jill Marie :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Lorenzo

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 02:21:09 am »
well, choking to make the eye tear on a regular basis might be counter productive alright! But, exercise to make the eye water? Interesting notion! So, if the eye waters too much I should turn into a couch potato? Hemmm...  :)

Doctors come in all sorts and shapes and humours! Mine here had no humour, whatsoever. But I won't go into that for fear of prosecution! It's always a good idea to express humour with them, that way one can judge their reaction and see if they are what we want. The other benefit is to let them know that they can relax and be normal with us, if that's what they want to do. Makes them feel a lot more comfortable I bet. It sure worked with my docs and technicians when i got CK!

Loved the story by the way!  LOL 

When I had my three little steroid pills over the CK period and I had those unwated and unpleasant side effect of my waste management system going on strike, I asked them what I should do. The answer was simple: 'Eat more vegetables!' Geee, thanks doc!

Ciao, Lorenzo

Jill Marie

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 10:54:44 pm »
Hi Lorenzo,

I couldn't wait to see what it would be like if my eye watered, then when I found that it could if I exercised enough I realized that the blinking didn't work well enough to keep me from having blurred vision because of all the watering. The bonus part is between needing the eye ointment and the eye watering to much, you get to see things the way others do!  The couch potato scenario works for me!

I too had problems after my surgery and the doctor recommended metamucil, the problem with doctors is that they do the surgery but have know idea what happens to the patient after the surgery so they don't know how to help us through the recovery period.  I believe that they also need some metamucil or raw vegetables so that their brains aren't constipated. 

Jill Marie :D

Lorenzo

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 12:25:50 am »
HI Jill Marie,

My eyes are watering now reading about all this watering stuff!  :)  Maybe just exercise half of your body. SHould be possible form the sitting on couch position.

Metamucil. Interesting name. Ever wonder how they come up with names like that? :)  Oh, and I think some docs need a lot more than Metamucil (Brainamucil) or vegtables to get them going!

Ciao, Lorenzo  ;)