Author Topic: Those attending July's Symposium  (Read 25892 times)

Static

Re: Those attending July's Symposium
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2007, 09:07:58 pm »
Cheryl,
Tastykakes are snack cakes made by a company called tastykake in Philadelphia that I grew up with (sort of like hostess, or little debbie).  They make all kinds of cakes and if y9ou are ever in Philly, you should try the butterscotch krimpets or peanut butter kandy kakes, they are their best.  They aren't as good as they used to be years ago, but they are still very good!  My favorites were always the butterscotch or the chocolate cupcakes.  As far as I know, they don't deliver them out of a certain area but will deliver them if you internet order them which is why you have ne er seen them in the midwest.  So, it's just another Philly thing!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Mark

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2007, 06:55:46 am »
I grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs and remember tastykakes well, used to love Butterscotch krimpets. I have a theory they may have caused my AN. Couldn't have been the cheesesteaks or hoagies. OK, kidding about causing the AN  ;D ;D

mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Cheryl R

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2007, 08:37:46 am »
   The Tastykakes sound very good.   I am coming to Philly for the symposium so I will check into them.              My family has always made fun of me for liking to visit grocery stores when we have been on trips as is interesting to see what different brands and things certain areas have.
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

TastyKakeman

• 2.0cm removed John Hopkins Dr Henry Brem .
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2007, 03:24:25 pm »
Karen, I could not have explained it any better. Thank you. Tastykake has been around since 1902. I usually play a trivia question on those who know about Tastykakes. The question is what was the first item that was made by Tasty bakery? Was it the chocolate cupcakes ? Was it the butterscotch krimpets ? Was it the peanut butter kandy kakes ? ??? The very first thing made by Tasty bakery was A Preztrel Stick . Noticed I wrote Tasty bakery and not Tasty Baking company. Tasty bakery tiurn into TastyKake a few years later after the chocolale cupcake was produced. The furtherest west that they travel is to Pittsburgh and Martinsville West Virginia. The furtherest south they go is Richmond, Virginia. and the furtherest north they travel is upper state New York. :o And the rest was history. Bob
Bob

Static

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2007, 07:35:54 pm »
Bob,
I  don't know enough that I would've known all that trivia, but I do know that I think tastykakes are way better than alot of those other snack cakes out there!  The chocolate cupcakes were always my favorites as were the butterscotch krimpets.  I have my own version of the pnut butter kandy kakes that I make myself.  I thought I had heard that they were moving the plant from Hunting Park Ave in Philly, do you know if that is true?  I do know, although I don't get them as often as I used to, they will always be one of my favorites!
~Karen 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2007, 09:02:39 am »
Hi all,

Sorry to disappoint 1 or 2 of you, but I have had to cancel my trip to the symposium... seems that.... Iain/CB's permanent arrival to the States falls in the same timeframe! :) (he's been cleared for VISA entry to the States)  Will need to prepare for his arrival and greet him with BIG huggles as we FINALLY start our new co-habitation married life together.  So, please accept apologies and do hope to meet you soon..... have a great time and a few pirate "happenings" for me :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2007, 04:11:51 pm »
Very happy for you and you are probably happier!  Enjoy!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2007, 12:04:40 pm »
OK all you wenches and scallywags, Capt Deb is through sitting on the taffrail and has booked her plane rezzies.
I can't believe I'll be getting to meet some of you face to face in 2 weeks! Yowza! I'm waxin' me boots and a'sharpenin' me cutlass as we speak! Dr Love will remain aboard to pump the bilge and fend off Sea Monsters.
I'd be glad to share my room wiv another wench to save us both some $ since he's not gonna be there.

What wiv no more prescription drug coverage for the year I'll be expectin' all of you to start scamming Imitrex Injectable samples from yer docs, since I blew alla me stashed doubloons on the bleedin' plane ticket.  I go through one or two 6g vials a week. Phyl took care of last week and we will all miss seeing her. If any of you forget your PBW Uniforms, I'm bringing extras, as well as for any new recruits.

Look out Troubletree!

Capt Deb 8)

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2007, 11:03:35 am »
Is there a plan for all us pirates to meet up?  What happened to the Friday night part-tay?!?!? 

Looking forward to meeting some of you!!

Katie (arriving Friday morning)
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2007, 11:28:40 am »
Hey Katie,

there was talk of Pirat-i-tude for Friday night.  In light of me now not attending, I would check with Capt Deb or others to get update... and please give everyone one of my huggles since I can't attend.  I hate the thought of not being there with you all.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2007, 08:01:02 pm »
I plan on checking in to the symposium some time Friday around noon or so depending on when I get my rear out of bed.  Change of plans for me......... seems I'm driving into town instead of taking the train since it's too far to walk to and from the train especially late at night to that particular hotel in Philly.  If there's something going on, let me know!  See you on Friday.
~Karen
PS  I don't look anything like my picture!   ;D ;)
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2007, 06:16:59 am »
Karen,

If you do look like your picture/avitar... I'm sending my professional-grade hair clippers along with Katie/Kbonner so hair cut can commence (since I won't be there)....

Have a fantastic time all!  Will be on bail alert as I'm counting on you all to stir up trouble in my absense!

Phyl

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2007, 09:28:21 am »
I'm sure we'll get something going for Friday night--maybe in the bar or something if the ANA doesn't have a social something organized.  . All PBW crew be sure to bring official uniforms and accessories or whatever. I emailed my cell # to a few of you to maybe do dinner thursday night if we miss each other at check in. Can't WAIT to meet everyone!!!!!!!  I actually do look like my picture plus a few years and minus the hat. It won't fit in coach or in my bag.

Love and hugs!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Static

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2007, 11:05:21 am »
Well, no drinking and driving for me, but Batty has my cell and I'll be seeing everyone on Friday!  I have to work on Thursday :(  The last day of the heat wave will be today, so it will only be in the 80's by Friday if you're planning on venturing out into the City for that lovely tour.  Talk to you guys IRL then!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

matti

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2007, 02:17:04 pm »
I am very disappointed that I had to cancel my symposium reservations at the last minute (family emergency). My hubby and I had planned a week long stay in Philly and I have been looking forward to meeting all.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful time and I still have bail money if anyone needs it ;)

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50