Author Topic: Difference between TRANSLAB and RETROSIGMOID?  (Read 7148 times)

nimmy

Difference between TRANSLAB and RETROSIGMOID?
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:15:46 pm »

As  of my knowledge both approches are from the back side of the Ear and on eapproach is opening of the skull nearer to the Ear and another one is away from the Ear.

Questions:
1) which approah is nearer to the Ear and which is away from the Ear?
2) In which approach , chances of saving HEARING is more?

Pl. Let me know

Thanks

Nimmy
Email: neuromasurgery@yahoo.com

cookiesecond

Re: Difference between TRANSLAB and RETROSIGMOID?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:16:30 am »
Hi Nimmy,
I had the translab approach. My scar is right behind my ear. I was told going in they would sacrifice the hearing and balance nerve on my AN side. I have ssd and I am still dizzy at times. I don't know much about the other approach.
Take care,
Lynn

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:56:29 am »
I can't speak to comparisons of incision locations, but with translab you have a 0% chance of retaining hearing.  As part of the procedure, the surgeons will cut and remove the acoustic/vestibular nerves and some of the inner ear structures.  Retrosigmoid has some chance of preserving current hearing levels (I don't think it can restore hearing, but I could be wrong), but I'm not familiar with the stats.

Here are some links comparing the procedures:
http://www.anarchive.org/approaches.htm
http://anworld.com/surgery/

Good luck!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 06:41:18 am »
I had translab.  It took away the perfect hearing I had.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 07:49:50 am »
I had retrosigmoid on 5/31/07.  My scar is behind my ear - I wear my hair very short and believe it or not, the scar isn't that noticeable since my hair has grown over it.  You can just see the tail end of the scar near my ear lobe and unless I point it out to people, most don't see it.

Retrosigmoid gives you the opportunity to try to save the level of hearing you have, but you may end up with a little less hearing, or in some cases (like mine) you may end up with no hearing at all.  As with all medical procedures, nothing is guaranteed.

I think a lot depends on the size of your AN.  Originally mine was 1.5 cm so they thought the chances of saving my hearing were pretty good.  Unfortunately, my AN had grown unexpectedly and was kind of wrapped around the hearing nerve, so in order to get the whole AN they had to sacrifice the hearing nerve.  While I would have liked to keep some hearing, the doctor's priority was to get the whole AN and I totally agree with his decision.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 08:10:35 pm »
leapyrtwins any idea why the sudden jolt of growth?

Retro sig scar behind in the back of the ear, hardly noticeable even with my hari pulled up. Viable way to save hearing if you have any hearing to save. It will not restore lost hearing but is an option to preserve hearing. Unf. I lost mine before my diagnosis.

translab you will def. lose hearing. Translab looks like a question mark to me. There are some who have their sites posted.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 09:43:54 pm »
leapyrtwins any idea why the sudden jolt of growth?

Battyprincess -

I have no idea why my AN grew so much between my MRI and my surgery (about 5 or 6 weeks time).  The surgeons were quite surprised as they naturally assumed it would be slow growing.  The neurosurgeon claimed it had almost doubled; the neurotologist said it hadn't quite doubled, but it had grown "significantly".  Neither of them knew the reason behind the growth.

When I was originally diagnosed, I had the option of gamma knife radiation or surgery and it was a real dilemma for me.  The neurotologist would not recommend one over the other; he felt it was my personal choice and I struggled with the decision before I finally chose the retrosigmoid surgery.  After the surgery I was told that in my situation I had definitely made the right choice, since due to the rapid growth, radiation would not have been a realistic possibility for me.

I have heard theories of rapid AN growth related to raging hormones, but at 45 1/2 I'm well past that stage.  I can't attribute it to being menopausal either, since I've already been there, done that at the ripe old age of 34 - another medical story all in itself. :)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 10:30:41 pm »
Interesting since mine was considered to be fast growing due to growth from 2.54 to 2.8CM from diagnosis to treatment...you def. beat me and I highly doubt can attribute yours to differences in caculations unless someone really messed up the first time!

Yes, you made the right choice with retro. One thing I took away from the symposium was that I made the only choice possbile given my symptoms. I had wondered since I was diagnosed and treated so fast if I missed something. Had my initial diagnosis came sooner then I would have had other options. God knew what he was doing as I am one of those who has trouble making decisions  LOL 
Thanks for sharing.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 10:48:29 am »
Validation is a great feeling.  I debated the choices for days and even after making my decision I wasn't completely sure.  I hate 2nd guessing myself.  :)

Cynaburst

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 04:55:35 pm »
I had retrosigmoid for a 3+ cm. tumor.  I was told that I might retain the little hearing that I still had.  I did not retain any hearing, but my scar is pretty insignificant and barely visible, and my facial nerve is very marginally affected, but I would say I have had 90% facial nerve recovery and it has been 5.5 years.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 04:41:10 pm »
Katie,
Thanks for the links explaining the different approaches.  I finally understand why I had the translab and what happened! 
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 11:56:02 pm »
Hi Nimmy, my docs said they could save my face with translab, but it would leave my 100% perfect hearing with SSD. I opted for protecting my facial nerves and sacrificing my hearing. They felt my tumor was too big for other options. My scar is now mostly hidden, but my ear does stick out a little bit:-(   The good news is all facial paralysis has cleared up, and with my hair down, no one could know I had brain surgery. Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!