Author Topic: ? cane or walking stick  (Read 2133 times)

deea

? cane or walking stick
« on: June 11, 2007, 08:36:23 pm »
 Balance is becoming more and more of a issue.  I ordered a cane the other night about 4am( thats what happens when you don't sleep) but I'm wondering if a walking stick would be a better idea.  Tonight I walked over to a neighbors and grabbed my daughters hiking stick from her days as a girl scout.  It seems to be better for balance than the cane.  I am new to either one so I don't know how to use the cane correctly and the stick is, well a stick is a stick, and I figured that out pretty quick.

Any opinions before I spend any more money?  The Girl Scout stick my have sentimental value for my 27 yr. old but its a broomstick with glow in the dark tape.......not something you would take out in pubic.

Deea

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: ? cane or walking stick
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 12:09:06 am »
I was thinking about getting me a walking stick.  Very European, you know!  Very professional walking kind of thing...so much more cache than a cane.   

Just don't start yodeling or something!!  ;D

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:21:25 am »
Hey it's whatever rocks your boat, rings your bell or gets the people to say "You look marvelous!"  I personally like the one the actor on the TV show House uses--flames at the bottom!  I just recently bought an aluminum adjustable cane--lightweight and able to make it MY height.  Walking my dog has me changing hands all the time as he tends to move behind me left or right depending on which side of the sidewalk smells more intriguing while I'm holding the leash in one hand the cane in the other.  I do the quick change and it's becoming annoying.  I'll have to get him to walk on one side of me from now on--yeah right as he's a bullmastiff which is known to be a stubborn breed and don't know if I have the patience just yet. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Shrnwldr

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 08:38:55 am »
I bought my cane/walking stick at the local CVS Pharmacy.  It is rather distinguishable although it is aluminum and adjustable it is covered in violets :).  I would love to buy some wooden walking sticks, paint them myself with flames, ummmmm or anything else that hit my fancy.

Seriously I use it whenever I take off and know that I will be walking a long distance and crossing streets. It makes me feel more secure.

Sharon
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007