Author Topic: A few tips that helped me  (Read 2254 times)

block

A few tips that helped me
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:42:30 am »
Its been 2 1/2 years since I had my surgery.Dr's Slater and Kemper from Austin Texas performed their magic on my right ear and I must say they were about as good as I could ask for.

Every few months I try and post a few tips for folks preparing for surgery as well as a few for post surgery so if this is repetitive please forgive me but it might be new for some.These might not work for everyone but they sure did for me.

1- Get yourself in shape before the surgery.This is very important because it tends to speed up the recovery process.

2-Have yourself a support team and in turn have a support team for the support team.

3-Drink lots of water in the days leading up to surgery.I asked several people about this and they always told me that it cannot hurt.I like to think that maybe this might help get anastesia out of your system quicker.Also force yorself to drink water after the surgery.This also helps keep the kidneys active.

4-If you are a fan of beer like myself,cease the beer drinking two weeks prior to surgery.Doc explained that it was important to get it all out of my system.Also shut down your smoking if you smoke.

5-After surgery get on your feet as quick as possible.I had a bad case of upset stomach and even a tad bit of fever and the Doc told me the fever would go away but I needed to move around.With an upset stomch this is asking alot but as soon as I sit up in bed the fever broke.

6-Take 1 hour at a time.In my case I seemed to notice improvement by the hour and this helped me keep things in perspective.I knew that I was getting better and that helped my outlook.

7-When you get home try and begin some sort of a walking routine as soon as you can.This is where the being in shape will help.It was hard for the first few days because every step reminded me of having a staggering beer buzz.In my case I had to start slow and take careful steps but this too was only for a few days and each day I could see improvement.

8- I am a bicyle rider and I set myself a goal to be back on the bike with 2 months.Having something to shoot for and look forward to was a big motivation.

I hope somebody will find these tips helpful.I know every case is different but maybe someone can gain a bit from them.The toughest part for me was the 36 hours after surgery.Food was not exactly something I wanted to look at and I basically felt like I was working a badTequila hangover.I never had any pain in my head at all.I regained close to 100% balance about 8 weeks after the surgery and I felt as though I was totally recovered within 3 months.I returned to work about 3 weeks after surgery although it was mostly desk duty.The lack of hearing in my right ear is bothersome but I have adjusted pretty well.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: A few tips that helped me
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 11:11:43 am »
Hi, block:

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.  I'm sure many future 'posties' will find them useful as a guide to the practical aspects of post-surgical recovery.  I'm sure others may want to add a few suggestions that worked for them.  Of course, we're all different and heal a bit differently, so I'm pleased that you offered that caveat.

Thanks again for your thoughtfulness in posting these practical pre and post-op suggestions.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:13:32 am »
Great suggestions, I especially like the one about a support team for the support team!!! My dh was awesome for me but I know he had some help for himself as well.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 05:49:52 pm »
Yes support team for the support team.  That's great.  Your care givers are most likely going to be family, and this will be hard on them (it was really hard for my mom/main caretaker....she needed her friends to get her out for a break)

I'd also like to add prunes and prune juice are great from the get go so you don't get bound up and have probelms with intra-cranial pressure.  Getting everything up and running properly is key.  I also took the stool softener as well.

I also made myself get up for every meal and not eat a meal in bed.  It was hard some days, but it made me feel somewhat normal.  We got a tray and my mom would make up my plate and I'd sit in a chair next to my bed and eat. 

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

robynabc

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 07:54:05 pm »
I wish we had thought about the prunes ahead of time.  :)

Eric had pizza (the worst) the night before surgery.  He really did have a hard time with the bowels. 
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.