Author Topic: eye could use your input.  (Read 2296 times)

satman

eye could use your input.
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:43:08 pm »
looks like monday I will be getting a gold weight
and a stitch in the corner.
my question is to you guys that have a weight.
do you have to put in as much GOOP[technical term] ?
now I will truly be Johnny Goldeneye.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: eye could use your input.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:07:32 pm »
I still put in "goop" overnight but less than I use too (but I can get by without, its just better with it) ... and use drops 1 or twice a day .. and thats about it .. its a live-able stage finally...(and still take extra care in keeping it clean and free of eyelashses hair)

I must say .. with this whole AN experience .... the dry eye is the worst... if I had one wish  .. I wish my eye was back to normal .. the deafness ... the bad smile ... the numbness.. its all nothing compared to the dry eye ...(I dont have headaches!)

and the eye weight is the best thing for it .. so take heart... I waited a year before I had it done... big mistake ... it was sore at first ... but a week later, I knew I should of done it months ago!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:11:00 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

satman

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:25:07 pm »
I would second that wish.
thanks joef

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 07:29:32 pm »
Hi John:  You will LOVE the eye weight.   When I had mine in I also used much less lubricant; I was able to use drops during the day.   Since it had to come out because of an allergic reaction, jeez, I'm using lubricant about every 3-4 hours, & I use the eye bubble every night.   Can't wait to get the platinum weight in on 11/20.   The allergic reaction is VERY RARE (lucky me).
The operation is a piece of cake.   Just remember to keep the ice pack to it for a few days, helps ALOT with the swelling.  Your doctor will give you instructions.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps:  I don't know why you waited so long either Joe !!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

TP

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:41:42 pm »
Hey Satman:

The gold weight was awesome! I had my AN removed 6/5/06 and after two CSF leak surgeries as well as mennigitis in June and July I literally demanded the Dr to do something with my eye. I had about all I wanted at that point so I finally got a little snippy. He finally found an eye weight to fit my eye (I needed a heavy duty one) and it was put in the last day I was in the hospital. The surgery took about 25 minutes tops! For about 6 weeks I had been using gauze over my eye to try to keep it shut and it was horrible. Yes your eye will be dry but that will eventually take care of itself. In my case I had a few stiches on the crease of my eye lid. I can't remember if the stiches dissolved or if my eye Dr took them out. Let us know how you like it!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

satman

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:07:37 am »
so far it sounds like a good deal.
here we go again PATIENTLY waiting !

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 11:59:08 am »
I was just thinking:  the need for continued drops/lubricant post weight implant depends also on whether your eye is making tears or not.   If, after the weight is in, you still need as much drops as before, & your eye is blinking, you may want to check with an opthamologist re: Restasis eye drops or a punctual plug.    All the best, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 12:02:50 pm »
I completely agree that the dry eye stuff has been the worst to deal with since my surgery!  I had a tear duct cauterization done back in May, along with a few stitches on the outer corner.  I'm so glad I had it done!  The stitches have made my eyes look like they match now - I had the deer in the headlights look only on the right side.  The tear duct cauterization really helps to keep the tears from draining away from your eye.  Sometimes I actually have to wipe away the extra moisture now that I finally am starting to produce some tears of my own, but I'll take that over the dryness anyday.  I still use the goop at night, but I don't need to use any drops during the day, which has improved my vision.  My doctor did not cauterize the ducts completely, so if, at some point, my tear production and eye closure gets back to normal, I can have them re-opened.  I'm almost 8 months out from my AN surgery and I'm beginning to wonder what "normal" is anymore.  It's nice to know that at least here - I am just as "normal" as the rest of the group!  I am new here, and I wish I had found this sooner - would have answered a lot of questions no one else seemed to have an answer for.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

satman

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 01:21:08 pm »
Hi Lori ,I agree with you,
What the hell is normal ?
Thanks for the eye info