Author Topic: anyone had ringing in the opposite ear to their AN side  (Read 4011 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
anyone had ringing in the opposite ear to their AN side
« on: October 18, 2007, 03:31:56 pm »
Hi all,

Has anyone had ringing in the opposite ear to their AN, just recently I've noticed ringing in my good ear, its starts as if my ear is full then a really load tone which gradually quitens all within a few seconds the whole experiance lasts only 30 seconds if that, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Thanks

incresingly anxsious Cheryl. XxX
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Jwh

Re: anyone had ringing in the opposite ear to their AN side
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 06:28:50 pm »
Yes, I have the same thing as you described in my good ear.  I was getting nervous that my next MRI would show an AN on the "good" side.  I had my MRI on Thursday and all looks good!  I don't know what causes it but was glad to hear there was nothing there!

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 07:13:17 pm »
I do...but then again I did work around helicopters when I was in the military...   :)
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

aardvark

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:43:12 pm »
The tinnitus in my "good" ear is actually more noticeable than in my AN ear.  Although I have crickets & treefrogs in both ears, there's an added "pulse" component on the non-AN side.  Sometimes I think it's just a result of not having protected my hearing adequately, and has little to do with the AN. 

Adrienne

1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

linnilue

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:34:36 pm »
Yes, me too alot of the time.  I can honestly say that it frightens me a bit when it happens because I'm so fearful of losing all my hearing.  But I think my minds exaggerates things for me!
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

matti

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 06:56:17 pm »
Hi Cheryl,

I experience it too :(    It happens every few weeks and will last for about 30 seconds. Interestingly I did experience it in my AN ear prior to diagnosis. I am 9 years post op and have had 9 follow-up MRI's and everything looks normal on the non AN side. I have brought it up with my doctor and he said it is very common and is most likely related to fluid.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:24:41 am »
I have had constant ringing for almost 2 years and at times pulsing, feeling of water in the ear, pressure changes and numbness in the skull behind the ear.  I know my hearing has changed and I just had audiogram that showed hearing loss in that ear.  My doctor will be getting this report and I await his dx for this ongoing problem.  If there is anything I can share with all of you at that time I'll be back. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 10:36:52 am »
I get tinnitus in the opposite ear, albeit it's not constant like the AN side.  Recently had my 1 year MRI - no problems on either side !!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mema

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 06:36:55 am »
Yes I to get ringing, crickets and pressure earaches in my good ear.  I know with one sided hearing the opposite ear has to make up for it, so I think our good ears are much more sensitive.  I never worked around anything that would of effected tinnitus.                           

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

er

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 11:57:54 am »
chello heza,
I have also had the same problem but my recent MRI didn't show anything
eve

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 05:05:33 am »

Hi everyone thank you for replying to my question, at least i know I'm not alone on this one, 1 thing I must clear up though your good esr does not over compensate  or become more sensitive for hearing loss in the other ear, apparently the ear doesn't work like that, My husband has SSD and he asked at the ENT clinic if over compensating was possible and he was told no.

Hope that clears up any misconceptions

Thanks again
Cheryl
XxX
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 02:50:44 pm »
Has anybody plugged your non AN ear and heard ringing? I have and I dont know if the ringing on my AN side is causing it or whats going on. I dont have another MRI for a couple weeks. Should I be worried? I understand that from time to time some of us experience ringing on non AN side.....maybe I'm just FREAKIKNG OUT.... Please if somebody experiences ringing in non an side please that is faint but noticable when plugging that ear please let me know.

Thanks
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012