Author Topic: No presents or dinner  (Read 4205 times)

Sam Rush

No presents or dinner
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:51:46 pm »
Today is the 3rd anniversary of my translab AN surgery, and my wife won't buy me a present or make a special dinner!!!  She says it's nothing to celebrate. I disagree. I'l buy myself a new motorcycle and go out for a Tahoe Joe's steak dinner!!
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: No presents or dinner
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:05:02 pm »
Sam -

not to add fuel to the fire of your domestic disagreement, but I'm on your side.   3 years - and every year thereafter - is a great reason to celebrate.  Add a good, stiff drink to the steak dinner.  You have every reason to celebrate  :)

Congratulations,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

berniejfnp

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 07:13:45 pm »
Sam,

Happy anniversary, this is a big deal!! Go treat yourself and invite your wife to celebrate.  I'ld meet you out with my boys and husband if we were on the west coast.  Celebrate and rejoice, what a journey.

Bernie

Mark

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:36:37 pm »
That's the spirit Sam. Many of our loved ones struggle to understand just how tough the journey can be for us. I say go for the motor cycle  :D
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:41:34 pm »
Hi Sam,

I think you should celebrate! If your wife doesn't want to go with you, then go with a friend (male) we wouldn't want your wife to get jealous. Just surviving this whole AN thing is a reason to celebrate each and every day! On my 2nd Anniversary (I'm only 2 yrs out) can't remember if I went out to dinner with my son, or I went by myself but I know I treated myself to a good dinner. I felt I deserved it! I wish you the best!  Ann  p.s. what type of motorcycle are you going to buy? I'm sure that will get your wife's attention!
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

er

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:17:04 pm »
Good for you Sam!
And congradulations on the 2 years
Do your celebration with a friend
At  my  2 years I got the photo  to your left to celebrate because I didn't have the crooked mouth any more that alone made me feel good when a person saw the photo she asked you are pretty proud of it ( she had never seen the way I really looked  the first   year and 1/2 ) so I showed her a photo of myself at 3 month po and she also said congradulations.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 08:38:50 pm »
I think it is a huge reason to celebrate.  I'd buy myself two bike's if I thought I could balance on them!  Congratulations, Sam!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 08:55:32 pm »
CONGRATS!!!!!! ;)
CELEBRATE...I think when I'm celebrating my anniversary..(I havent had my CK done yet) that hopefully my husband would be there to celebrate with me. People just dont really know what we're going thru or have gone thru. We understand....HAVE A STIFF DRINK FOR ME.
BIG HUGS FOR YOU and once again CONGRATS!!!!!
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

lori67

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 09:19:28 pm »
Happy Anniversary!  I say go for the motorcycle, the dinner, drinks and dessert!! You've earned at least that. 

I hope your balance is pretty good or you might want to look into training wheels for that motorcycle.

Lori   ;D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

linnilue

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 09:38:50 pm »
I'm with you Sam!  It's 3 years ago that I was diagnosed, the day before Thanksgiving...isn't that nice?!  My anniversary is in January, oh yeah, I turned 50 just before radiation...oh, now i'm really with you.  I think I deserve a BIG rock on this 3rd anniversary and you should go and buy that bike!  Congratulations and Happy Thnaksgiving.  Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Sam Rush

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:42:29 pm »
Thanks to all who responded. My wife is really nice, just doesn't think it was(is) a happy occasion to celebrate.

P.S. The motorcycle is a Honda 750 shadow spirit cruiser,   replaces my BMW 650 dual sport.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 07:46:01 am »
A glowing report Sam, very happy for you.  When I read your post regarding your wife's comments first thought was a scene from the Three Stooges and pie fighting!  If you don't mind I'm going to send this post to my hubby as a hint because my three-year MR is happening first part of December.   ;)

P.S. been wondering if you are still doing the TRT bit.

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Patti

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 08:53:17 am »
i, too, have a very nice, supportive husband who remembers my surgery as the worst time in his life.  he will remind me of the day but it depresses him.  i think it's crazy because i think of how lucky i am, but he remembers all the tragic details.  my anniversary is coming up.  as a matter of fact, it is thanksgiving that i knew of my upcoming surgery and had to console a lot of sad relatives.  i even went to a priest to have my last rites (which are not called that anymore), at my mother's request.  i did have a rough time, but i am alive and a good mother and wife!!!!!!  congratulations!  maybe we should celebrate together since our nice spouses are too sad.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 11:27:31 am »
I celebrated my anniversary by giving myself a full day at the spa, by myself.  I think it's a good thing to celebrate as well, and in my own way liked that I celebrated by myself so that I could be introspective about the ordeal.  Of course, this was the first anniversary, not sure how I'll feel with #2.  Maybe other people around will be fine by then. 

New motorcycle is a great present, I had a ring made...sapphires and white gold.  Hope the steak was good!!!!  You deserve a treat!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 01:42:13 pm »
Sam,
  Congrats on the 3 yr anniversary.  And congrats on the new motorcycle.  Are you really complaining about getting a motorcycle over a dinner?  ;)  It sounds like it worked out well for you.  And it sounds like you're doing well if you're riding motorcyles.  I used to ride and race motorcyles, but I've given it up since my reaction times are a bit slower than they used to be.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW