Author Topic: Icepick Headaches related to AN????  (Read 3222 times)

Jwh

Icepick Headaches related to AN????
« on: November 28, 2007, 12:51:10 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've recently started to have icepick headaches (so I think).  I have a stabbing pain on the side of my head and eye tenderness.  It's on the same side as my AN.  It's very fleeting - comes and goes.  Does this sound familiar?  Is this anyway related to my AN.   Or can this be trigeminal pain?

I'm trying to figure this out ( :
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Icepick Headaches related to AN????
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 04:12:15 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've recently started to have icepick headaches (so I think).  I have a stabbing pain on the side of my head and eye tenderness.  It's on the same side as my AN.  It's very fleeting - comes and goes.  Does this sound familiar?  Is this anyway related to my AN.   Or can this be trigeminal pain?

I'm trying to figure this out ( :

Speaking as a patient, not a doctor, it's very likely AN-related.

I experienced similar, intermittent, very brief (but painful) 'stabbing' sensations (on the 'AN side') prior to my surgery.  I'm sure others will tell you the same thing.  The stabbing pain was one reason I finally saw a doctor.  I knew this wasn't normal.  It wasn't...unless you have an acoustic neuroma tumor...which I did.  My eye on the 'AN-side' was also slightly affected (dry eye syndrome).   

If you haven't already done so, this is probably the time to consider how you'll address this situation (surgery, radiation or possibly both). 

I hope this helps a bit.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jwh

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »
Jim,

Did the doctor happen to tell you why this happens?  The stabbing has stopped and now my head feels tender in the same spot ) :

Thanks!
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

satman

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:59:19 am »
It very well could be related,mine was.
It's amazing all the gremlins A N's produce.
When I had my headaches it was accompanied[sp ?] with
blurry vision and a wosh,wosh sound in my AN ear along with a drunken stagger.
These symptoms would only last 3-5 minutes then everything would clear up.
Thats probably the reason I kept ignoring it. 
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:36:40 am »
Hi jwh

*raises hand*

I'm one also. I started 2 threads that, I'm not sure, you may have seen:

"AN Inquiry" forum, with a survey to post treatment AN'ers that may have run into this (those that have had all forms of AN treatment protocols):

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5418.0

Another, in "Headaches" forum for "Ice Pick Migraines".

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5460.0

Maybe worth checking out as other's have chimed in with their thoughts/experiences.... just fyi only.

Hang in there!
Phyl
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:38:51 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 05:21:42 pm »
Jim,

Did the doctor happen to tell you why this happens?  The stabbing has stopped and now my head feels tender in the same spot ) :

Thanks!
Jen

Jen:

Only that the growing tumor is impacting the surrounding tissue and presses on the skull when it gets big enough (mine was 4.5 cm).  The stabbing pain is almost always intermittent.  If it were steady, I don't think anyone could tolerate it for long.  It's a way of telling you that something is wrong, even if you know that already.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.