Author Topic: BPPV and an Acoustic? Try Home BPPV Treatment  (Read 3163 times)

dizzyman

BPPV and an Acoustic? Try Home BPPV Treatment
« on: December 14, 2007, 04:08:23 pm »
Talk about bad luck.  I have BPPV but have never had and AN.  Some of you here have had both. Wow!

I just thought I'd share some good luck I had recently.  I have had BPPV for a while now and keep getting it back.  I have had it treated with the Particle Repositioning Maneuver (Epley) by my doctor.  It worked for a while but I keep getting it back. 

I tried the same maneuver at home but couldn't get it quite right.  My ENT gave me some other ones (Brandt Daroff) which made me really sick so I had to stop those.

In any case I found this device called the DizzyFIX (www.dizzyfix.com) which helps guide you through the particle repositioning maneuver yourself at home.  If you know you have BPPV this thing is great. It worked first time for me. 

Good luck to all of you with both AN and BPPV. I wish I had more good news about the AN part.

Dizzyman.

Sam Rush

Re: BPPV and an Acoustic? Try Home BPPV Treatment
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:21:04 pm »
Dizzyman,

I think you're confused, If you have AN, then the vertigo is NOT BPPV by definition. AN, although a benign tumor, is not a benign condition, requires complicated brain surgery and/or radiation. Only when structual  organic problems, or AN is ruled out, can you diagnose BPPV
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

dizzyman

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 07:05:35 am »
No not confused.

It sure is possible to have both.  They are very different kinds of dizziness as you know but they do not exclude each other.  AN comes more with disequilibrium - a kind of off balance which is with you all the time as the AN grows and compresses the nerve of balance or the brain itself.  AN rarely causes acute vertigo since it is often so slow growing - although some people here do report it.  BPPV is pretty characteristic and has spinning vertigo, which only lasts a few seconds and only occurs in certain positions.  They are not related conditions but there is nothing to say that you can't have both.  You're just unlucky if you have both.  Just though I would try to help out those poor people with both, at least with the BPPV part.

Good luck.

Dizzyman

kat

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:28:49 am »
Hi

I can testify that it is possible to have both BPPV and AN . I have had BPPV for many years occuring mainly when I turn over in bed.
I find that turning quickly the other way stops it most of the time .  Luckily I do not have it very often but at first it was very alarming but after my GP explained what was happening I felt a lot happier about it .

Regards Kat 
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

linnilue

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 10:11:41 pm »
I would like to chime in here.  I don't have BPPV but my very first symptom was VERTIGO, severe episodes and my AN was very small.  As is true with all AN's everyone has different degrees of symptoms.  Oh and along with the vertigo came nausea, severe nausea.  And yet my hearing was PERFECT...
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 03:27:35 pm »
For what it's worth:  before my AN diagnosis, surgery and radiation, I experienced severe dizziness only when lying flat on my back, but as long as I could turn my head to one side, even a little bit, the dizziness stopped.  I never experienced it at any other time.  Following surgery, that condition disappeared and has not returned.  Go figure.  :)

Jim. 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

HCSTARWIND

• attitude is 90%
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 02:46:49 pm »
Hi Dizzyman,
Thanks for web site on BPPV and particle positioning. I have an AN on the left and developed BPPV on the rt. last July. My ENT did the Epley maunover at that time. and I went through rehab for a session or two. It has not returned. I agree it is possible to have BPPV without an AN diagnosis. Sometimes it is related to arthritis in the neck. I can also happen after a viral infection.  The otoconia "rocks" float around in the semicircular cannals and this causes the vertigo especially with laying down. I hope yours is better  and wanted to say thank you. Helen
Dx, AN left IAC, 3x9x2x3mm. Now 5x5mm , Nov. 07. Watch and wait for now.