Author Topic: Annual follow up MRI was done with no contrast ?????  (Read 7642 times)

tatianne

Annual follow up MRI was done with no contrast ?????
« on: January 08, 2008, 09:40:19 am »
is that normal practice ? The tech says its because the doc already knows what hes looking for and the point of the MRI is to see changes....doesnt contrast help that ??
Has this occured with anyone else ??
Thank you
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:01:56 am by tatianne »
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

OMG16

Re: Annual follow up MRI was done with no contrast ?????
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:37:54 pm »
I just replied on your other thread and just came across this one.  So I'm going to send you on a wild goose chase to find my answer to your question.  This should be fun since you are still feeling the after affects of your pre meds (lol).  If you can't find it just post again on this thread and I will repost.  Anyways take good care of yourself today.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:09:43 pm »
Well, I go for my one year follow up MRI post translab, and my doctor ordered it with and without contrast.

I don't know what the norm is, but it seems to me it would make more sense to do it with contrast since nothing will show up without it, right?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mema

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:11:37 pm »
Tatianne,                                                                                                                                                                                       

My first MRI  was done without contrast.  Showed nothing.  18 months later was done with contrast and showed a 8mm x 6mm AN.           

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

kat

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 05:16:57 pm »
Hi Tatianne

My last MRI was done without contrast although I had asked for it . It did show that my AN was shrinking which made me happy but I thought that an MRI with contrast would have shown if there was any necrosis . This time when I finally get my appointment I will insist on having contrast since this MRI 3 years after my GK is a very important one . All my MRI s were done on the NHS here in UK and I suppose with contrast might have been more costly ???  So far the only MRI with contrast that I have had was the one on the day of my GK .

Best regards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

summer

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 09:40:47 pm »
hi there,  actually every MRI follow up i have had was done with contrast.  I thought that was needed to see the complete picture....i hadnt heard of or it was never mentioned to me of doing one without contrast.....

Trish

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 11:15:11 pm »
My follow-up MRI's have each been with contrast.  However, this last MRI (December 2007) required a blood draw and lab reading, something about creatinene level.  I had to meet the clearance standard before I could go into the MRI room.  The nurse explained the blood test is now required by my doctors for any gladolinium contrast application.  This extra test only took an extra 20 minutes.

Some people have had a negative reaction to the contrast solution.   

tatianne

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:12:58 am »
this is bothering me a lot, i didnt sleep well last night....Its the same tech who did my first two MRIs..he remembered me. He was putting me in the machine and I asked him "what about the IV for contrast"  He said my doc didnt order it and its because they already know what i have and this was a follow up MRI to check for any changes...
The worst part is I took meds to relax and I guess I kept falling asleep and moving so he had to do the whole thing twice............so I stayed in there just as long anyway..he seemed annoyed with me.
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:50:14 am »
(Trish, GREAT to see you hear and participating! :) )

tatianne, one thing I have learned is that if I am in any test (ie: MRI, blood work, PET scan, etc) and if I am not comfortable or question what is occuring, I note it to the technician involved and have them asap contact the dr that ordered the test. With all the scans I have endured in the past years, there are those times, based in previous tests or knowledge of tests, I have learned to speak up and insist on the phone call to the dr's office to have them double check or to answer my question on the spot.  Maybe a thought for next time as I hate to hear you lost sleep over this.....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tatianne

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 08:29:28 am »
I did ask him right away and told him that I was sure contrast was always needed in the case of ANs...he toldme the doctor didnt order it and he does what the doctor requests...and that they know what i have and this was just a follow up for changes so the contrast wasnt necessary...i think he was wrong...then he told me he had to do it twice because I was moving and I felt like i didnt move at all but i thought I may have been falling asleep and not noticing the movement.
Im going to contact my doctor today, tks everyone for answering me...
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

Richey

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 08:41:38 am »
I am having my one year MRI today. It will be done with and without contrast as all the previous ones have been done. This is my sixth one since 12/04 and they have all been ordered that way. I have noticed in discussions with the doctor that you can see the AN either way but it is much easier to see with the contrast. Not sure why they do it without too. I need to ask that question this time.
I'm hoping to see less of the thing this time.
From mid 05 to early 07 it had been stable, no growth but no decrease either.

OMG16

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 11:27:55 am »
I'm sorry to hear you had a rough night.  I think your right you should call your doctor and ask, they do sometimes mark the wrong box.  That is the only way you will know for sure.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 04:27:41 pm »
tatianne:

I've had numerous follow-up MRI scans and every single one was with contrast.  The pre-scan blood test is now mandatory but I can have it done locally and the results faxed to the MRI center a few days before the MRI, making it easy.  Once the blood test results didn't get sent to the MRI center so they just called the hospital for the results and had them within minutes via fax.  While I wouldn't lose sleep over a non-contrast MRI, as Phyl mentioned, I would have questioned the order and insisted your doctor be contacted for verification.

If this is a major concern for you - and it appears to be - I would strongly suggest you contact your doctor and confirm his original order and the explanation the MRI tech gave you.   You can always have another MRI.  Unlike some tests, multiple MRI scans have no deleterious effect.  I should know.  I've had 8 in the past 20 months.  Fortunately, all is well; the AN is shrinking and in necrosis.  I wish the same results for you.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 09:42:10 pm »
Jim,
You stated "the pre-scan blood test is now mandatory"...my first MRI since my surgery 2/16/07 is scheduled tomorrow at 9:45 A.M.  My doctor has not ordered any blood test.  The hospital sent me a reminder and written across the bottom was "MRI with and without Brain".  Someone was in a hurry when that was written!  My ENT who originally found my AN has now closed his office here and moved home to Canada.  My Endocrinologist ordered the MRI at a local hospital where the radiologist will read it and then I will send it out to House in LA to read also.  Can I just get a CD to send out there or do I need copies of the films? 

It has been some time now since I posted but I have been reading the posts. 

Jean in MS
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

1wareagle

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 10:03:48 pm »
Jean,

I had my first MRI since my surgery Dec. 6 and they did not take a blood test on me. It may be something new that Mississippi has not picked up yet!

Good Luck on your MRI!!!!
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)