Author Topic: head cold yields pleasant consequence  (Read 1931 times)

Charlotte Lady

head cold yields pleasant consequence
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:18:13 am »
Over the holiday week, I had the most wretched head cold ever.  At the time, I didn't really notice but I got most of my balance back.  I staggered, at most, once a day.  Now that it's gone, I'm more like the drunken sailor I aspire to be.  Has anyone else noticed a correlation between headcolds and improved balance?  If so, maybe I"ll try to catch another one!

Of course this could be just a coincidence or antihistamine related.  Or other circumstances imorved my balance - such as the extreme amount of walking I was doing at the time.   Anyone who works retail at Xmas knows what I'm talking about.   

Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: head cold yields pleasant consequence
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:27:06 am »
Hi Donna,
  I think for most people, a head cold exacerbates balance issues.  It does for me.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

OMG16

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:18:05 pm »
I agree with Rob balance gets worse when my son has a cold or is exhausted.  It can last for a while after the cold is gone.  So keep your chin up it is most certainly going to get better.  That has been our experience anyways.  :-* kiss to your forehead.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 04:10:58 pm »
Unless I've misunderstood, which is certainly possible, I believe Donna meant that her head cold had the effect of restoring her sense of balance, or at least seemed to do so.  I have no idea why that might be so it will have to remain a quasi-mystery, at least until someone can offer a rational explanation.  Interesting, at the least.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

OMG16

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:20:20 pm »
Jim I believe you are correct.  We have not experienced that.  It seems for Donna anyways that a cold maybe a good thing.  I will wait to hear the outcome of this one.  Interesting very interesting.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 09:50:40 pm »
Yeah.  The head cold seem to make things BETTER.. curiouser and curiouser.   What would pneumonia bring?  hearing???

Seriously, I have no logically explanation.  More than likely it was just coincidental, certainly not cause and effect.  I figured a cold should worsen balance.  Responses bear this out. 

Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 09:00:21 am »
Hey here's some food for thought..maybe the head cold equalized the balance by equalizing the stuffy ear feeling? In my mind this makes sense  LOL The opposite ear got plugged up equalizing the pressure.