Author Topic: Sharing things to celebrate!  (Read 2406 times)

OMG16

Sharing things to celebrate!
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:52:48 pm »
I am thrilled to share with all of you that my son for the first time since his stroke has zipped and buttoned his pants all by himself!  He also put his hoodie on and zipped it.  I wish I could share the look on his face with you.  He was beaming with pride.  I have also noticed that he is able to follow more complex conversation.  His emotions got away from him today as they have since the stroke and instead of losing control he was able to walk away take some time and recover quickly.  I can hardly wait for tom. to see what he does and to see the pride on his face.

Please keep up all your prayers as they are working!!!  ;D 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Sharing things to celebrate!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 05:58:34 am »
That is so totally cool!  I'm rooting for him!  I'll bet he will start making more and more progress, but will you ask him how he just walked away and recovered?  I would give just about anything tobe able do that?  You all are in my prayers.  Sounds like lots are being answered.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:33:39 am »
16, thank you SO much for sharing this! What wonderful news and I can "see" your smile in your words! Congrats to him.... what a tough cookie he is! (as are you!)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 07:15:50 am »
OMG,

This is unbelievable news! He is on the road to complete independence! Congratulations!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 08:04:02 am »
WOO-HOO...that is so wonderful!!  It is all those little baby steps that really start adding up!!  I would say it took a good 3-5 years to really get where I am today -- remember, I had a stroke during my surgery.  He has youth on his side - even though it stinks that he has to endure all of this at such a young age!!  I hope y'all did something special to celebrate - you deserve it!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

OMG16

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:39:49 pm »
Thank you everyone I told him I was posting this news and he was excited.  I will share all of your post with him.  We did celebrate and had a wonderful evening.

Brenda he is not sure he just felt it coming on and thought it best that he be by himself until it pasted.

K if you don't mind can you send me a PM and tell me your experience.  I would love to hear about all of it and I would like to share your story with my son.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

OMG16

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 03:06:19 pm »
Okay guys he did it again today!  I was helping him this am and I went to do his pants and he pushed my hands away and gave me that teenage look!  I have not seen that look in years and I just smiled and moved away.  I did not even realize how much I missed the normal teenage things.  I must say I look forward to many more looks in the future!  Oh I forgot it only took him about 30 seconds instead of a couple of minutes.

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 05:53:18 pm »
That's GREAT!!  Thanks for reminding me that I need to be thankful for even the things that I don't think I should be!!  Just today, my daughter was acting like a diva -- she's only 10 -- and my husband said, "And it is only going to get worse!!"
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

OMG16

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 07:43:36 pm »
Just remember that it is all age appropriate well within reason anyways.  You can go off by yourself afterward and celebrate these rights of passage and now I can too.  I just love it! 16