Author Topic: FYI re: chronic fatigue  (Read 5946 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
FYI re: chronic fatigue
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:47:28 am »
Hi all:  I attributed my chronic fatigue to this AN surgery, even 1 1/2 years out.  Also feeling depressed, dry skin, hair brittle & breaking off; well, I had bloodwork done a few days ago & my PCP called last evening - seems my thyroid is shutting down. 

This is what's been causing all the above symptoms - & it's quite common for women esp. those in peri & menapause.

Just an FYI if it seems you've been feeling this way even way past post AN,  check with your PCP (better safe than sorry).

I go back for repeat thyroid function tests in 6 weeks. 

Always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: FYI re: chronic fatigue
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:05:53 am »
Nancy, I'm sorry to hear that!  I did have that checked, as my family has a history of thyroid problems.  Make sure they check not only your T4 but your TSH.  My mom's T4 is normal, but her TSH is almost non-existant, so the Thyroid is working on it's own without pituitary stimulation, which is clinical hyperthyroidism.  I had never heard of that! 

Hope you can get it medicated and get rid of the fatigue!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

lori67

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:25:23 pm »
Hi Nancy.

I have hypothyroidism too.  Fortunately, that's a pretty easy one to treat and you'll really notice the results.  I get my blood work done about once a year now, and I can always tell when it's going to be off - I feel like I'm dragging, my hair is dry and I shed worse than my dog and I'm always cold.  Once we get the synthroid back up to therapeutic levels, I feel 100% better.

Sorry you have to deal with this now too, but at least there's an easy fix that does not involve cutting you open!!  And the generic form of the medication is relatively cheap (more money to spend on better things...).

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

tony

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:34:04 pm »
The link between thyroid and AN issues has never been
proved (not that I have seen, any way)
But..there does seem to be an unexplained "cluster"
ie rather more linked issues than you might expect
many folk seem to have both (cant prove it - but it does seem so)
a poor thyroid level can cause lumps on/in the body
- but these are not schwannova type cells ?
- and thryoid issues are sometimes  genetically linked...
Best Regards
Tony

OMG16

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:36:58 pm »
Nancy that is great news.  You will start to feel better and more like yourself soon.  My son has hypo and his pituitary does not send any messages to his thyroid at all.  Those hormones can cause such a problem when they are abnormal.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Static

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 02:21:01 pm »
Nancy,
I guess it's better to have answers though, than just guessing that it's from something else and thankfully there is something that can be done to help you.  I am 4 years out and have been bothered by the fact that I'm extremely fatigued, along with a list of other problems that all started after I had AN surgery.  I had a long talk with my PCP last week (I never really addressed all of the issues as one but instead just addressed one at a time) and after he did a pressure point test (that's what he called it) he told me that I have fibromyalgia.  Not sure what we're gonna do about this one, apparently there isn't any real "cure" out there yet.  Just taking it one day at a time.   A good thing though is that I don't need any surgery and it won't kill me!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 03:08:44 pm »
Nancy~
Hello!
I had my thyroid removed almost 2 years ago.  Thyroid stuff runs in my family also and I had a lot of "growths" (one Dr. called them one thing the radiologist another so I just decided on "growths"!).  They said that they could leave them in and they might grow and be unsightly (HELLO, when you have a face like this you don't need anymore strikes against you!! :o) or they could turn cancerous!  We decided that A) I would bounce back from surgery better at 36 than 46 or 56 and B) that we didn't want anything that didn't need to be there in my body!  The surgery was a piece of cake.  In fact, I tell people that of all the surgeries I have had, that is the one I would recommend!! :D  Getting the dosage of Synthroid right was a bit tougher, but no big deal either.  I still get tired (especailly if I forget to take the medicine!), unforunately, & I do have to blame a lot of it on the AN & stroke, but nothing unbearable.  You will definitely notice a difference!
So glad you found this!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 03:16:54 pm »

Hmmm ... me too!  :o both my mother and her brother had the removed... thought my AN issues were thyroid problems.. and asked my GP for thyroid  blood workup ... he did.. but also sent me for a MRI .. and we all know how that ended up  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 03:34:22 pm »
ok, this one piqued my interest as well. Had a benign growth on left side of thryoid, which they removed back in 1998... and AN diagnosis almost 3 yrs ago. Now, in my case, I tend to grow benign lumpy-bumpies (and 1 not) but I'd be curious on this one as well.

*sits back with 2 lbs bag of M&M - new Dark Chocolate*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 04:17:11 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  I don't believe there is a link between AN & thyroid (sorry if I gave that impression).   I'm just glad to know it's NOT due to
AN but my thyroid which yes, as some have said, is easily treated.

I wish my doc would order the med right away, but she wants to repeat the TFTs 1st, then start the med.   I trust her judgment.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »
Well, my Dad and I both have AN's and hyperthyroidism.  Both of his conditions are under control and not being surgically treated due to his age and the fact that he has Alzheimer's as well.  My thyroid was treated with Radioactive Iodine 16 years ago - a year before my "sinus" headaches started and apparently, about the same time my AN began to stretch out and make itself comfy in my head.  I'm guessing someday someone will find some connection between all these things.

Lori

p.s.  Phyl... you're not going to eat the whole 2lbs yourself, are you? 
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 04:24:28 pm »
I would wonder about the radiation causing tumors...

retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Don

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 04:42:59 pm »
Following my surgery and subsequent Gamma knife to remove mister tumor I have suffered BLAH its not like fatigue being tired and sleeping I just have no get up and go and the endocrine guy was having me zapped with testosterone once a week it seemed to help but my blood thickened so Im off it now who really knows?, One of my friends who was a stroke survivor also felt sluggish and they finally determined his brain wasnt getting enough oxygen so they installed a pacemaker which increased the blood flow to his brain and it perked him up, so who knows? Keep trying and let us know what works I was almost ready to start smoking crystal meth as them people seem pretty frisky?  ( BLAH= Being Lethargic And Hurt)

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 05:05:31 pm »
All of these posts are very interesting since I was treated for hyperthyroid with radioactive iodine just one year prior to my AN surgery.  The last time I had any problems with my thyroid was in 1984 when I had a goiter removed.  After that, my thyroid always tested normal until 2006.   Coincidence?  I'm not so sure now.
Jean in Mississippi
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 05:13:28 pm »
Yes, as the saying goes:  'my get up & go just got up & went'

I remember when I was quite young (my teens), working in hospitals & taking care of pts. who were post radiation - emptying bedpans, etc.... 
sure makes me wonder....    I've been growing tumors since age 17 (lucky for me all benign....)
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis