Author Topic: I Got My Date!!!  (Read 3933 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
I Got My Date!!!
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:23:31 am »
Hi All-

Just wanted to let you know that I FINALLY got my date for surgery!  (And they assure me it is firm, so you can put away your white out...)

April 30 at NYU.   ;D ;D ;D

Wahoo!  Who knew scheduling brain surgery could be so exciting!

Deb - busy trying to micro-manage everything from NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

Re: I Got My Date!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:20:34 am »
Good news Debbi!

I think we should all probably find something "normal" to do for excitement around here, don't you think?   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:58:51 am »
Yea Debbi!  I got it down on my calendar and I put the white-out away!  Congratulations.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:41:50 pm »
Great that you got your date!  Know that must be a relief to have the decision made and the time scheduled.  Will be anxious to hear news of your recovery...

Wishing you the best,
Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Glenda

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:15:37 pm »
Congrats Debbi,

I've got it on my calendar too!!  I'm glad that the decision and appt part of your journey is over..

Lori is right though - we do need to find something better to do for excitement ;D

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:18:16 pm »
Debbi:

Congratulations on the good news! 

After the runaround you had it should be comforting to have a firm surgery date.   Well, sort of.  :)  At least you can now get prepared, knowing the date you'll be operated on.  My humble suggestion is to allow two weeks for your initial recuperation (barring complications)  and a month after that to get back up to speed, assuming all goes well, as it most likely will.  Of course, you may need less recovery time - but don't rush it.  In any case, try not to stress over the approaching surgery date.  Instead, look forward to getting the AN out of your skull....for good.  I wish you all the best in the weeks to come, including April 30th.  :)

Jim 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:10:16 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 04:11:55 pm »
Thanks, all, for the good wishes.  I know that you all completely understand my relief in getting the appointment set - I'm one step closer to recovery now!

I am now preparing to do battle with the insurance company - that should keep me busy for the next year or so.   ::)  I am mustering the troops, though, and won't got down without a BIG fight! 

I am already planning my recovery (ha - who am I kidding?)  Actually, I am a personal/executive coach, so my work is done primarily on the phone.  I am going to scheudle my first couple of client sessions about two weeks after surgery and will just ease into gradually.  I can plan my work so that I can work an hour, rest an hour, etc.  And, since I work from a home office, no driving involved.  Am I crazy, or does this sound realistic?

Debbi - busy micromanaging in NJ
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Esperanza

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 04:26:22 pm »
Hi Debbi,

Glad you got your date!  At least you now know it will be dealt with and you can work on moving on...

I have an exam on that day -  will send you positive thoughts  - think I would rather be having my AN out  :o !!!   

;D

Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 05:15:17 pm »
Debbi~
Yea for you!!
I would suugest SLOW...there is no hurry!  One on the 1st day, one the 2nd or 3rd (I'd even go 3rd), etc.
I taught school (&had a stroke) so I went 1/2 days the 1st week -- am, pm, am, pm...
k
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »
Debbi -

very exciting news!  Congratulations!

As K suggests, take the recovery slow.  Healing takes time and lots of patience.  Don't overdo it.

I'll remind you of that again in a few weeks when you're a postie  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 10:52:35 pm »
There you go. Now you are an official "pre-postie", since we don't have a better term for it.

If you have ever wanted to just take a couple of weeks off, and let everything go, and not do much of anything, well now is your chance. You will never have a better excuse. Spend the month of May picking flowers. :)

Hopefully David will get that in his calendar and remind us all. Or Phyl will come out of hiding...

Best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Melissa778

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 06:05:14 am »
Congrats, and best of luck.  Can't wait to hear about your recovery as my surgery is two weeks after yours....
I bet your breathing a nice sigh of relief just knowing it's going to be outta there soon. :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 06:40:13 am »
Hi Melissa-

Hey, seems like we'll be the "Translab Girls" for April/May - lucky us!

let me know if you want to talk pre or past surgery - I'll be happy to share any/all experiences with you.  You can PM me anytime.

Meanwhile, today is B minus 29 (Boogerectomy minus 29 days...) and counting!

Deb - on the countdown
2.4 cm Right Side AN

robynabc

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 07:23:40 am »
Fantastic Debi. 

Good luck.  Just think it will all be over soon and in a couple of months you will be surprised how much better everything is

Peace and Love

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 11:10:10 am »
Meanwhile, today is B minus 29 (Boogerectomy minus 29 days...) and counting!

How amusing  ;D

Deb, you crack me up!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways