Author Topic: No surgery date yet  (Read 1720 times)

LizH

No surgery date yet
« on: May 05, 2008, 06:23:11 am »
In late January 2008 I met a neurosurgeon at Toronto Western Hospital in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The neurosurgeon said he will add me to a waiting list and that the surgery will be in a couple of months. He ordered an MRI brain scan in preparation for the surgery. I had the MRI 4 days after I had seen him. In late April when I had not heard from him I called his office. His assistant called me back after 4 phone calls and voice mail messages that she had no surgery date for me. She angrily said that she will call me when she has a surgery date. What does this mean? That my situation is not that bad? it's past a couple of months now. I am very worried and concerned. I wanted to get the tumour out, get some physical therapy and move on with my life. My symptoms are getting worse. Effiya.
53 years old now. AN size 4cm now
waiting for surgery date
FSR May 2001 when it was 2.9 cm
Dr. Laperriere
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto. Ontario. Canada

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: No surgery date yet
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 06:31:10 am »
LizH -

I don't know how the health care system in Canada works, but I've heard that others have had to wait like you for a surgery date.  I think that Denise (Denisex2boys) is waiting for a surgery date also.

When you called the doctor's office did you stress to his assistant that your symptoms are getting worse?  I don't know if that would help speed things up a bit, but it might.

Good luck and let us know when you get that date,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:27:14 am »
LizH:

I know that waits for surgery are not uncommon in the Canadian health care system but I also have to assume that if your AN were in any way endangering your health or life, it would move you to the top of the 'list'.  This being the case, I concur with Jan's advice to let the doctors office know that your symptoms are getting worse.  If brushed off, send a registered letter to the doctor explaining the problem.

This kind of situation with a Canadian resident tends to confirm my reservations regarding 'universal' health care that some are eager to see implemented in the U.S.  If 'everyone is covered', often that 'coverage' leaves a lot to be desired.

That aside, I hope and pray that you can have your necessary surgery soon and that it will alliviate your symptoms and generally have a positive outcome.  Please keep us informed.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cmp

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:24:41 pm »
Hi LizH,

I'm sorry you've been keep waiting so long for a surgery date! I can only imagine how stressful that has been for you...

I agree with Jan and Jim that emphasizing your worsening symptoms may make a difference, and with Jim's suggestion to bypass the assistant with a letter directly to the surgeon if she continues to be unhelpful. I really can't understand her being unwilling to return your calls or showing annoyance when she finally did--you've been waiting patiently a long time, and patience when your good-sized tumor is making itself known does not seem to be a wise strategy any longer!

I hope you get a date very soon...
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

LizH

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:03:52 am »
Thanks CMP, Jim and leapytwins. I have got my Primary Care Physician also involved now. Effiya
53 years old now. AN size 4cm now
waiting for surgery date
FSR May 2001 when it was 2.9 cm
Dr. Laperriere
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto. Ontario. Canada

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:15:31 am »
I'm so glad to hear that.  I hope it helps you get a surgery date.

Please let us know what happens.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways