Author Topic: Causes of abnormal ABR results - always AN?  (Read 14662 times)

Drex

Causes of abnormal ABR results - always AN?
« on: May 10, 2008, 07:20:35 am »
Hello,

This is a wonderful forum and association - so much useful information.

After having a some minor hearing loss in my left ear, the doctor had me do an ABR test which came back abnormal.  Per protocol, he suggested and MRI which I have scheduled for next week.  However, he mentioned that the main purpose of the MRI is to rule out the AN as an abnormal ABR doesn't always mean the patient has an AN.  In other words, the abnormal ABR results could have many causes, one of which is the presence of an AN.  Is this consistent with others' understandings?  Would appreciate any perspectives.

Many thanks.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Causes of abnormal ABR results - always AN?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 07:23:26 am »
Hi Drex and welcome. Although I cannot speak specific to abnormal ABR results, I can share that the true way to confirm the presence of an AN is with an MRI performed with contrast.  To confirm a "mass" of AN, best bet is to rely on the findings of MRI with constrast.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:26:04 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 08:15:29 am »
Drex -

I don't know if abnormal ABR results always mean an AN.  I think the answer is more like maybe.

The only way to know for sure if you have an AN is to have an MRI with contrast like Phyl mentioned. 

Rest assured if you do have an AN, we will be here to support you and help you in any way we can. 

Good luck next week, please let us know what your MRI shows.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Drex

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:26:37 pm »
Thank you for the kind replys.  I've scheduled an MRI for this Friday in NYC.  I have to admit I'm pretty scared.  As you would guess, I've consumed much information on this terrific website as well as many others.  I can manage quite a bit of stress in my life, but this is very tough (yes, I know, I don't even have a diagnosis yet, but I'm still quite worried as my symptoms seem to fit an AN).  My wife has been wonderful and supportive.  I will let you know the results.

thanks.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:29:20 pm »
Drex,

Regardless of outcome, I hope you find the answers you seek and tickled your wife is there for you... as are we. Hoping it's not an AN and easily resolveable.

Hang in there and take a deep breath! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:38:28 pm »
Drex -

it's normal to be scared.  Hang in there.

And, yes, please let us know what happens. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Drex

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 08:24:02 am »
I had my MRI with contrast at Park Avenue Radiologists in NYC.  It's a very good facility, very well managed and has all the latest equipment.  They are quite high-tech and I was able to get a full CD of my images within 10mins of completing my scan.  Of course, now I have to wait for the official results.  The radiologist my ENT likes to use is not in until Monday so that's the earliest I'll hear.  I've looked at the CD images my self and compared them to web images, but I certainly am not trained at this, so really don't know.  I don't see any huge masses, so perhaps that's good, but it still could be there.  I will let you know next week.  To be ready, I've continued to benefit greatly from this forum and website as well as others around the world - so much helpful information.  Thank you.

Drex

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 09:30:59 am »
The good news is that they didn't see anything concerning on the MRI, but I still have the left ear hearing loss at high frequencies and the abnormal ABR.  So some more tests ordered down the road to check for any further changes, more hearing loss, etc.  Will likely check back as I learn more.  Again, thank you for the wealth of helpful information.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:25 am »
Drex -

glad to hear that the MRI didn't show an AN.  Thank you for updating us.

Hopefully someone can solve the hearing loss mystery for you soon.  Let us know what happens, please.

Jan

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 09:57:56 pm »
Drex,

Please do let us know what you find out. It is good that it is not an AN; it would be good to know what it is instead, especially since you have similar symptoms. I hope you get an answer soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.