Author Topic: flying after AN surgery  (Read 5472 times)

kat

Re: flying after AN surgery
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 08:51:15 am »
Hi

My name is Katarina  I am 57 and I had GK in Sheffeld UK  in April 05. I have had very few side effects and have just carried on with my life as ususal and as large part of that life is travel. I have been very frustrated trying to get travel insurance .
Part of the trouble is the fact that we usually go sailing for several  months and we need cover fo USA And Bahamas .
I approached at least 20 companies many refused insurance as soon as I explained that I had AN and that I had received treatment and my Doctor could see no reason why I should not travel . I found two companies who would cover me for everything else exept my AN and one company who would cover me for the AN for a premium of £3500.00! Needless to say that I decided to go for one of the companies excluding AN for a premium of £ 250.00 for the two of us .
You might have better luck if you are not going for too long a time and your AN is removed which was the crucial point  when I was making my insurance enquiries . This made me wonder exactly when will someone who has had GK be considerd cured and considered for full travel and health insurance . I would be interested to hear from others on this subject .I am happy to hear that you have recovered from your op so well  and hope that you will enjoy your trip to OZ.

Best regards Kat 
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

JHager

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 12:01:24 pm »
Hey Jeanlea,

Being back at school is GREAT!  The kids have been wonderful, and it is so helpful to fill my day.  I'm pretty tired by the end of the week, (more so than usual  ;D ) but even that's getting better.

It feels good to just resume 'normal' life!

Hope you're doing well!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

Jeanlea

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 10:32:28 pm »
Hey Josh,

Glad things are going well.  Being in the classroom really does help.  I went half days the first two weeks and then ran into vacation days.  Between that and medical appointments (for my eye) and meetings I haven't had a full week in school yet.  School itself doesn't make me too tired, but I also seem to have a lot of meetings after school.  That can start to make me tired. 

This year I am letting myself relax a little.  My sister and parents invited me to join them on their trip to Florida.  Ordinarily I would never leave school for a week, but I decided that this was the year to spoil myself.  I seem to recall that flying with a titanium mesh in your head is okay going through security.  If anyone has had any problems please let me know.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD