Author Topic: Question on Necrosis (of tumor)  (Read 1957 times)

kippy6

Question on Necrosis (of tumor)
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:58:57 am »
My mother and I were recently talking about a MRI report she had. I looked up the work ischemic for her, and in doing so found another related article on "Ischemic Cascade." In this wikipedia article, it says that when necrosis of a cell happens, (see point #11) "If the cell dies through necrosis, it releases glutamate and toxic chemicals into the environment around it. Toxins poison nearby neurons, and glutamate can overexcite them."

I'm not concerned about ischemic cascade at all. My question is more related to what actually happens when a "tumor" reaches necrosis, and the actual chemical changes that happen? Would the above quote help to explain why the surrounding tissue around the (necrosis) tumor dies also? Just curious. 
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

jb

• My MRI sequence:
Re: Question on Necrosis (of tumor)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:52:53 am »
Hi Kippy,
My AN is going through necrosis following Cyberknife treatment last summer.  I've been having follow-up MRI's with a local neurosurgery practice and after the last one they told me that I may have necrosis in the area outside the tumor as well.  I had new hyperintensity - bright spots on the "T2" series of my MRI - in the area surrounding the tumor that they thought might indicate necrosis.  I was referred to a new radiation oncologist who agrees with my CK doc that there is necrosis inside the tumor, but no necrosis outside the tumor.  They didn't tell me exactly what the new spots on the MRI are caused by, only that it should be temporary.

To be honest, I'm not real thrilled at having a decaying tumor wedged up against my brain, but the radiation docs don't seem to think it's a problem.  Right now, all the dark stuff in the AN is still inside its "capsule", so I don't think there's any concern.  Not sure what will happen later on, but the docs tells me the body's natural "clean-up" processes will take care of it.  Sounds good to me.
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009