Author Topic: Suregery rescheduled  (Read 4115 times)

Sammict

Suregery rescheduled
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:45:27 am »
Hi Everyone

I went to the doctors yesterday to find out the whole in my ear drum is expanding due to an infection. So my surgery is now on hold until I have this other surgery called tympanoplasty they are going to drill a hole behind my ear patch the ear drum and clear up the infection.

I was told it would be at least two months after this surgery before i will be able to have the Translab. I feel like this surgery is never going to take place.

When I left the doctors office yesterday he said he needed to have a confrence with the neuro-surgeon and he would get back to me.

I can't wait to put 2008 behind me.

Sam

Kaybo

Re: Suregery rescheduled
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:53:28 am »
Sam~
So sorry for this delay...I know this seems like an eternal mess for you...I hope this new surgery goes well.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:42:49 am »
Bummer, Sam.  >:(

It does seem like it can go on and on. They will probably find that you need a cavity filled next, then it will be something else...

Stay with it. You will get through it all. It may take a few more months than you first thought, but it will happen. 2008 will be your year of the AN; you can look forward to  better years in 2009 and beyond.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:52:58 am »
Sam -

I can totally understand your disappointment.  When you've made a treatment decision, it's normal to just want to get on with it.

But it sounds like there is a good reason to wait. 

Take things one step at a time.  Get past this problem and then you can move on.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sammict

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 09:22:43 am »
Thanks for all the kind words.

Sam

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:04 am »
I can't wait to put 2008 behind me.

that was me for 2005 .. I now refer to it as the "year from hell" .. I feel pretty good now a days... back to my old self  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 11:29:26 am »
Sam,

So sorry to hear your date got postponed. Sometimes the wait is harder than the outcome.
It's almost 1 year since I first went to the dr. because of hearing loss and dizziness. I was diagnosed with my AN back in December 07.  My surgery is scheduled for June. This has been a bit of a rough year with lots of waiting and lots and lots of dizziness. Sometimes I feel that whatever the outcome, just bring it on so I can get on the road to recovery.

On the other hand I'm glad I've had time to research and consult and think things through. Not only that, but with all the recent surgeries among the forum members, there's a great opportunity to see what I'm headed for and to better prepare myself psychologically for my big day.

I know it's hard, but hang in there. You will get through this.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 11:56:54 am »
Very frustrating, but be glad that they found the infection and will be able to clear it up prior to your new date.  Hopefully, it will make way for an even more successful outcome.  My thoughts are with you.
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 12:07:47 pm »
Hi, Sam:

I was sorry to read that you have a different and more immediate problem that requires surgery and as a result, your AN surgery is being postponed.  I hope the tympanoplasty is successful.  I understand it's a same-day surgery so at least it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I had a similar experience.  Upon discovery of my AN (via an MRI scan) my neurosurgeon was alarmed because it was severely pressing on my brainstem.  Upon finishing our consultation, the doctor scheduled my surgery for about a week later, the earliest he could reserve an operating room and get his team together.  During my extensive pre-op tests, a CT scan discovered a 'mass' on my liver.  It was assumed to be cancer, which would have given me about six months to live.  My neurosurgeon regretfully cancelled my AN surgery, saying, with much compassion, that it wouldn't be fair to 'put me through it' if I had cancer of the liver, although neither he or anyone else ever actually said the word 'cancer'.  I was referred to an oncologist and he immediately ordered a liver biopsy.  It was done within 24 hours and came back negative for cancer.   Instead, it was determined to be a Hemangioma, basically a small collection of abnormal blood vessels in the liver.  It was benign and I was asymptomatic so no treatment was required.  I don't know who was more relieved, my wife and me or the oncologist who called giving me the good news.  I suppose, in his medical specialty, he didn't get to hand out good news too often, so I appreciated his help and his prompt phone call to my home the same day the biopsy was performed.   My neurosurgeon was also elated and re-scheduled my AN surgery for about 10 days later.  It went very well.

Like you, I was a little bit frustrated at the delay.  Even though I didn't look forward to the AN surgery, I knew it had to done and I reasoned that the sooner it was over the sooner I could start recovering and getting my life back.  I was right.

I trust you'll have a good experience with your upcoming ear surgery and be able to have the AN surgery by late summer or early autumn.  We'll be thinking of you and I hope that you'll try to keep in touch.  Let us know how the ear surgery goes and when your AN surgery date is set.  Thanks.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sammict

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:19:30 pm »
Thanks so much for the kind words. I am grateful they had found the infection now rather than later.

I thank god for this forum. I can express my thoughts and you all understand. I guess you have to really live it to get it.

Lately I have been experiencing some forgetfullness is that common with an AN does anybody know?

Thanks (Jim) I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Your right it is a one day surgery / two week recovery/ 2 months for full recovery. Hopefully we are looking at a September date.

(Syl) I will be thinking of you as your date approaches.

Thanks Sam

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:26:21 pm »
Sam,
  I can understand wanting to have the AN surgery over with.  It can take a while to schedule AN surgery, for a number of reasons.  One of which is trying to get on everyone's schedule that will be part of the Skull Base Team.  This includes the various surgeons (I had three), the technologists who monitor facial nerve function, anesthesiologist, etc.  My AN was diagnosed in November, and surgery was scheduled for February.  And as the date neared, it was bumped out an extra week when a more serious case needed more immediate intervention.  Even though I was geared up and ready to go, I didn't begrudge whoever needed the emergency surgery.  I was glad that, with AN, I could wait the extra week.
  Good luck trying to be a patient patient.  I know it's difficult.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

AJ

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:47:53 pm »
Hey Sam!

2008 didn't start off all that great for me either (I'll spare you the details  ;D ).  Delays and set backs are frustrating but you know it's in your best interest to have the ear drum problem taken care of first.

To answer your question, I do have some slight trouble with forgetfullness.  Post-it-Notes have become my best friends.  I have them in my purse, at home on my night stand, near the phone in the kitchen and of course my desk at work.   I'll attach a post-it to my key chain, or the radio display in my car.  Sometimes, I'll even write on my hand to remind me of something important.  Lately I have noticed that if something is out of my ordinary routine, I have to write it down or I'll forget about it.  Simple things like stopping at the market for a loaf of bread on the way home.  Another thing I have heard mentioned on this board is problem with word recognition.  I don't have that trouble, but sometimes I do find it hard to get the words out of my mouth.  Sort of like I'm thinking faster than I can speak and just end up tongue-tied. 

Hang in there Sam, and let us know how your first surgery goes, ok?

Take Care,
Annette
2.5cm AN diagnosed 3/25/08 Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Some hearling loss in right AN ear.
Slight Tinnitus and slight imbalance.
CK scheduled for May 28th! Woohoo!

cmp

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 12:56:38 pm »
Sorry to hear of this new bump in the road, Sam--how frustrating! The waiting is hard enough without scheduling changes forcing you to continually readjust what you are preparing for.  I hope the procedure goes well and you are back on track soon... Hang in there!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Sammict

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 12:58:46 pm »
Thanks Annette,

I thought the forgetfullness was coming on due to stress or old age. I was forgetting peoples names, I have been having trouble finishing sentences without deep thought. I agree my mouth and brain were not working together.

I like the post it idea. I have started taking alot more notes at work.

Thanks Sam

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 06:20:18 pm »
Well Sam , i found out i needed surgery in June of last year and had it in Dec. These AN's dont grow very quickly most often .

I almost went nutso worrying as it got closer to the date.  :D

it is frustrating i know, but try and relax and let it "come" to you.......

Best wishes Samm ;D
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here