Author Topic: Hearing and driving in Australia?  (Read 2242 times)

Micky

Hearing and driving in Australia?
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:46:01 am »
Hi all

Just wondering for those people in Australia, Victoria would be better, if you have SSD like me did you tell Vic roads about this, or does it not affect you driving?. I am about to go for my bike licence and on the form it asked if you have any hearing difficulties im currently driving my car and never have a problem i don’t find left hand side SSD an issue when driving  cheers  thanks for the time

Regads Mick
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Hearing and driving in Australia?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:03:58 pm »
Mick:

From the online VicRoads website regarding drivers licence requirements: 
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licensing/MedicalConditions/Medical+conditions+and+Driving.htm

Medical conditions and driving

Under the Road Safety Act 1986, VicRoads has the responsibility to ensure all licence holders are fit to drive. VicRoads procedures and relevant legislation are not intended to deny an individual the right to hold a driver licence. The intent is to protect the safety of the community and the individual concerned.

Talk to your medical professional about your medical condition and any potential impact this may have on your ability  to drive safely. Health professionals are qualified to check if you are medically fit to drive. They may provide a medical certificate or official letter stating your fitness to drive.

Drivers who fail to report their medical condition may receive a substantial penalty or be disqualified from driving for a certain period of time.

Medical conditions that may affect driving include:
    * diabetes and metabolic diseases
    * epilepsy
    * heart disease
    * stroke
    * arthritis and other joint problems
    * eye problems (eg. cataracts)
    * hearing disorders
    * sleep disorders
    * Parkinson's disease and other neurological disorders
    * dementia and Alzheimer's disease
    * depression and other mental health problems
    * lung disease
    * injuries and disabilities

This list is not exhaustive. Other medical conditions, or combinations, may also be relevant. A booklet titled, "Assessing Fitness to Drive" contains guidelines to assist health professionals and VicRoads (doctors, occupational therapists, or physiotherapists) determine a person's fitness to drive.

I don't know if this of any help to you but thought I would post it for informational purposes.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:37:05 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Micky

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:47:35 pm »
Thanks Jim for the info and fast reply. i will go and have a chat with my doctor and go from there cheers
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:12:36 am »
Hey Mick

There is another Aussie on this board -- he posts by Chambo (his name is Simon).  You might want to check with him.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 12:23:54 pm »
G'day Mick!
We have another Aussie named Laz whose screen name is Larry who can fill you in--he drives all over the place, too.
He's part Klingon, even and they gave his sorry a$$ a license!!! You can find him over on the Good Morning thread in the Community section.  You can stay there for a giggle or two if ya like!!

regads back atcha!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW