Author Topic: hole in head  (Read 6952 times)

Patti

hole in head
« on: June 19, 2008, 06:03:07 pm »
I  haven't posted in a long time as I try to focus on my life, but I always read what is going on.  I admire those of you who take the time to help others with ANs.  I had retrosigmoid surgery 8 years ago at the age of 38.  Things didn't go that well but I have adjusted and have a very happy and fulfilling life.  Aside from my many problems from the AN, the surgeon left the whole in my cranium after surgery.  Does everyone have that?  Once I was body surfing rough waves in the ocean and got an elbow right in the hole!  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
Re: hole in head
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:35:29 pm »
No, I was told that the piece of bone/skull would be replaced and if that could not be done--a titanium plate was used.  I'm sorry you had a rough experience.
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:54:56 pm »
Hi, Patti:

I'm glad you're that you're happy and getting on with your life, post-op . 

I wasn't aware that a surgeon wouldn't - somehow - replace the piece of the skull that is necessarily removed when performing AN surgery.  I have the titanium plate.  Others have the missing piece packed with relocated body fat, which I assume is what was done in your case.  Obviously, the body fat was either absorbed or somehow dislodged and you're left with the exposed skull.  This is very unusual, to put it mildly. 

I would want to have this looked into.  However, if you've gone this long with the 'hole in your head' with no adverse effect, it can't be too dangerous.  No offense meant, Patti, I still think it's kind of weird. 

Thanks for posting and showing many of us that we can still learn something new everyday.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »
Patti~
I had a translab and they packed it with fat.  The fat absorbed back into my body and so I have an "indention" behind my ear.  I asked the Dr. why the fat disappeared on my head but not on the rest of my body...he just shook his head and said only I would ask that!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:40:31 pm »
Jim   Meaning no disrespect to either you our Patti but "It's still kinda weird" gave me a good laugh in a laugh drought.  I'm thinking that pretty much sums up my whole AN adventure -- "it's kinda weird."

But Patti gave me something new to be paranoid about.  I knew about the fat packing -- got a scar on my stomach -- but I thought we all had plates over the hole in the head.  What's holding the fat in if there isn't a plate?

David (with a new AN neurosis)
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 07:53:51 pm »
I also have a indention  behide my ear.I call it my little grand canyon.The fat  must been absorbed  by my body.Strangely it ended up belly.Maybe I should try standing on my head.... TLC
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

Patti

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 08:22:33 pm »
i never even had fat put in there. too bad!  a few days after the surgery he had to go in again to reduce brain swelling by putting in a temporary shunt and removing a portion of the cerbellum.  i wonder if he somehow knew he'd have to go in again.  i remember asking him why the hole and he said because it is not a visible part of the body.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
cognitive issues

er

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:57:04 pm »
hello Patti
My bone was placed back in its place with some of the fat taken of my hip to fill the area. I almost think I can fill the fat because it still a little fuller in that part of my skull.
eve

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 05:36:24 am »
I had trans lab and the fat has dissipated, too.  I now have the Grand Canyon and it scares me because that area  is very tender and I'm afraid I will puncture it somehow.  I'm just paranoid!  It does feel kinda wierd!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 05:55:37 am »
I had fat packed in. The skull piece was replaced back in and held in place by strips of titanium mesh (over, not under,  the skull piece) held in with screws. Calcium phosphate paste was not used. (Some surgeons use this “skull puttyâ€? but others feel it puts the patient at higher risk for post op infections- years later). I do have a large indentation in my head much like Crater lake (speaking like a Oregonian hear)… no one has placed their elbow in it however.

Body surfing sounds cools. What happened after you got elbowed?

Daisy-Head Mayzie

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 06:39:12 am »
I didn't realize until the other day that some AN patients have a hole left in their head when Lori mentioned she had a hole in her head in one of her recent posts.

I am part of the fat/titanium mesh/titanium plate/piece of skull replaced crowd.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 06:57:32 am »
mazy-body surfing (playing in the waves) is my favorite, youthful activity.  i go to the jersey shore or to visit my parents in florida.  the elbow incident just scared me but no harm done.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
cognitive issues

cmp

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:23:51 am »
Hi Patti--

I had my original surgery done 20 years ago (Round #2 is coming up next Tuesday!), and nothing was done to replace the missing piece of skull (no fat packing, titanium, etc). Since my neurosurgeon was one of the top AN doctors at that point, I'm assuming it just wasn't standard practice at the time.

I;ve been vaguely aware of the indentation back there, but because my hair camouflages it didn't realize how big it is till I sat reviewing one of my current MRIs with my current neurosurgeon--it looked like an ice cream scoop's worth was missing! Fortunately, I've never had any problems. I must admit I'm glad they're going to pack and use titanium mesh this time--I wouldn't want the "hole" to get any bigger!

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

lori67

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 10:20:32 am »
Apparently, it's still standard practice for some surgeons, because I didn't have the piece of bone replaced either - no titanium, no silly putty, no screws.  I have an indentation the shape of a triangle behind my ear.  It's not noticable, unless i decide to go with the shaved head look, which I don't plan on doing any time soon.  too many other scars and metal things sticking out!   :D

I really never thought about taking an elbow to the area though.  Sounds like it would hurt.  I guess my rugby playing days are over.   :'(

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Catflower

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 10:25:47 am »
I also have the grand canyon hole in my head behind my right ear.  They did put titanium mesh in at the time of my AN surgery, but had to remove it due to infection.

Linda